Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

First head model

all2c00l

This is my first head and I've done it without any rotoscopes (because can't draw but I can sculpt). I'm nowhere nere finished but I'm not sure the neck lines will work well when he turns his head. Can someone tell me before I continue?

He is a superhero that I am creating so I want him to have a strong jawline and stocky neck. I still want him to be cartoony like a buzz lightyear. You may notice he isn't that way right now but I didn't want to continue until I made sure I was on the right track.

face.tga

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your modeling looks fine. It looks like you may be using the Skylark tutorial by Jeff Lew, as I usually do to start a new model. To simplify the mesh, try ending some of the splines, that run back across the top of the head, as hooks, so the splines don't ALL have to come down into the neck area. I suggest every other one or two should be made to end as a hook, and then farther back on the head make some more splines end as hooks.

Jim

The face is kind of "flat" , it looks like from the view you are showing. Are the lips and cheeks and nose very close from the side view? If so I think you should exagerate the distance between them to get that look you are looking for. Did you see the Buz character in the toy's project yet? Maybe you could start with a look at that model.

Edit:

Too many neck rings in my opinion. you only need three.

Edited by entity

Hi David....

here im again ....

just an idea, try to select the head's front half, then stretch out it in the z axis using the "S" tool, in my point of view it is a little flat ...

Peace

Xtaz

Select the five points and then press the lock icon on the right tool bar. Now you can draw a bounding box around all the 5 points at once. This generally highlights the "make 5 point patch" icon. (I'm assuming you know what that is)

I give you this advice because I see you are a sculpter and sculpting works best if I do it like this... First... save a copy of it and rename it so you can try a few different approaches at making him have even more personality. Pick out a few of his features and exaggerate the HELL out of them. If you like the changes keep on. If you don't like, trash it and start from a fresh copy of your starting model.

This guy had me thinking about this model... and then it hit me... This guy looks like prehistoric man right now... like a cave man or barbarian warrior or something. That's neat! I think the low forehead/ thick jaw gives him the cromagnum look.

I won't comment on the body until I see you un-flatten it.