What's up with creases

jamagica

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like they're all converging at a point. That's your problem. You'll need to make the splines into closed loops that go across and up/down the model. Kind of like the contours of a map.

Some rules to avoid creases:

1) Only 2 splines can go through one cp. Sometimes it can look like there are only 2, but they could be 4 "dead end" splines.

2) 5 point patches tend to appear at appendages.

3) No dead end splines.

4) Em....There might be more I can't think of right now..... but they might be highlighted somewhere in the New Users forum...RODney!!!!

porcelain might help, but first resolve the underlying issues as kenh has mentioned.

if you're going to model the entire shark, your best bet would be to extrude an oval along the length of its body, with tapered ends for the nose and tail.

keep at it! ' ' )

-jon

the general vibe i've gotten -- which is verified by what little testing i did -- is that its a bit of a crutch. it does a good job of smoothing out creases, but also knocks out a good bit of wanted detail if not applied properly.

on the other hand, yves poissant used it on his recent model's face (seen here, very naked), and if he uses it, it must be legit!

-jon

OK. I tried it. I liked it. A LOT!!

I followed the easy tutorial and added porceline to my CrimeBomb and MissDemeanor characters and did a compare...MUCH NICER!

Of note: I tried dropping the material onto my character 'MsD' who has hair and I crashed...I then went and dropped the material on JUST the attributes I want smoothed...skin...clothes...etc SEPARATELY and it did NOT crash.

I notice about a 10% longer render per frame...which is worth it for the smoothness.

The guy with the shark at the top of this post needs to have a look at his basic splinesmanship and maybe work from a sketch... GREAT idea doing a shark though, not too many of those in these Hash waters!