Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

My first Scene

Guest Rogelio Guzman

Guest Rogelio Guzman

Hello everyone,

I just finished building this scene. I used Skycast for the lighting, it's the first time I used it and still not sure if I used it right, tell me what you think.

Thank you

Rogelio

Camera1skylight1a0.jpg

Camera2skylight1a0.jpg

Camera3skylight1a0.jpg

truck movie

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't comment on if you're using Skycast right, but it look's good to me. It has a very realistic appearance to it. A little to clean to be mistaken for a photo. :lol:

I really like the cardboard box.

One comment on the Truck Movie. You can see right through the grill and out the wheel well. Might I suggest a few splines and patches inside the engine compartment to block this.

Really excellent. I love the lighting...it really makes a difference. I'm going to have to learn how to use it :) Which skylighting rig do you use?

Regarding the extra patch to block the Wheel well, it will need to be double sided(is this doable?) or else the normal fliped to face the engine.

• Admin

Very nice!

I agree with the comments thus far.

With the exception of the cardboard box everything looks like it was just built today and hasn't had time to get dirty or feel the effects of weather or time.

For a single shot that wouldn't need to be viewed from other angles the grunge could be applied in post. It doesn't seem that is what you are after though.

Perhaps light gels and the occasional decal would really make the scene come alive.

Pretty Good Rogelio. :D

Like Rodney says the main flaw is that everything is so clean and pristine.

Adding reflections to the windows and van would help, as would diffuse(dirt) maps. drainpipes, fires ecscapes and airconditioning vents would help add details to the scene without too much work.

Guest Rogelio Guzman

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Ganthofer, I didn't notice you could see through the grill, thanks for the catch. When you see something for a long time you tend to miss some things.

I used the 25 pass 5x5 dome

I am new to lighting, how would I apply a gel.

I haven't used decals or any techniques to dirty a scene, I not sure I really know how, what would be the best way to achieve it?

Thanks

Rogelio

Everything looks great. Very clean. It will be interesting to see how you work through the previously mentioned hints and suggestions.

Things I would like to see added:

A few persistent weeds along the buildings a few in the cracks along the side walk. A small trickle of water along the curbing to suggest it's been raining and explains what the street is so clean. Oil and grease spots where vehicles have parked repeatedly. Fade the pavement's center stripes and perhaps add some cracking to the asphalt and paint.

The lurkers are watching!

• Admin

There is an excellent article in an issue of Comic Book Artist by Paul Rivochet that popped into my mind as I first saw your scene.

It's mainly 2D but the article outlined some of his design work in making scenes/backgrounds for Batman, the Animated Series.

In it he added things (as John (Artbox) Henderson suggests) to make the scene look lived in. Sidewalks that had been repaired after pipes had been put into place, a metal plate on the brick wall, water draining along the road/curve, etc.

In short, intentional mistakes and errors; the evidence of a lived in world.

Some of the stuff may be online at their site... I"ll check and see if it is.

I'm sure there are many other resources that would convey the same thing though.

Keep on it! I haven't done much of what I'm talking about myself.... so not trying to overdo the suggestions here.

• Admin

I'd guess you want to model everything yourself... but if you aren't a purist I'd suggest looking at a few of Rodger Renold's models (Hi Rodger!) at http://www.animationpitstop.com

or via the mechanical models page at:

http://www.animationpitstop.com/models/use...echanical.shtml

Even if you want to model your own... you could look at his firehydrant, streetlights, parking meter, and more to get an idea of what objects could be added to your scene.

Here is a pic of one:

thm_fire_hydrant.jpg

I think the lighting looks good, and the truck model looks pretty nice!

I agree with some of the comments that say everything look brand new, but maybe that is a style you want. If not, I would play around with the color saturation and contrast. In real life nothing is so black or so red. If you do so maybe everything will look more natural, and the skylight effect would be more apparent.

I hope this helps