sprockets Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New Filter?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

Not sure what super secret activities Vern is up to these days but the New Filter I believe has been certified "Vern-free" by some to top security people in the biz. ;)

The filtering feature allows you to locate words in the Project Work Space (PWS) that otherwise might be hard to find.

I haven't used filtering so can't comment much on it's utility in production with A:M. For those with more complex projects I would imagine it could be quite useful!

• 2 years later...

Hmmm... (HI!) Interesting "little" feature! But I wonder why is not possible to create a filter to stay there independently the open project be... I mean, if I create a new filter and then close A:M, it has automatically disappeared the next time I open the program if I didn't check the "Save this filter with current project" check box... Of course I'd like to have some filters always there but... it seems that I must create new filters each time I start a project? Hmmm... Or maybe could be a "little" bug(or Feature Request if not)? Hmmm, who knows... Someone? :)

PS: I'm under v.13s, BTW...

• Admin

Filters can be saved with Projects.

If you save a default project with the filters already in it you can reuse those over and over again.

There is a checkbox to save the filter in the current project.

I see you mentioned that. Definitely check it or filters won't be saved at all.

The assumption being that you only needed it for that specific search.

I'd imagine a filter utility could be created to add and remove filters on demand.

Hash Inc doesn't encourage brute force methods of working with the file format but I'd guess the SDK has hooks for filtering too.

In the Project File a simple Filter filtering for models would look like this:

<FILTER>
Name=Models
<FILTERLIST>
Model
</FILTERLIST>
</FILTER>

a filter looking for models named 'dragon':

<FILTER>
Name=Models
SearchString=dragon
<FILTERLIST>
Model
</FILTERLIST></FILTER>

Filters can be created easily and are seldom used in dissimilar projects.

Do you really want to save all your filters in every project?

I use this thing all the time; for isolating parts I want to work on, to search for instances of whatever, to help me clean up groups, decals, relationships and other assorted things. Once you know its there and know how it works... if you remember it, you'll use it.

Something kind of related... select some patches... what groups do these belong to? ...what decals are stamped on these?

Right click and select 'Remove Groups' or 'Remove Decals' -- you don't have to remove them unless you want to but you get to see them all and I've found this very helpful. Note: if you have a group selected when you do this, it will not show up in the list -- not sure about decals. I use it mostly for groups.

Why was that related? I don't know... it just seems like I use the two together a lot.

Rusty

Edit: I use a ton of temporary groups that I know I'll want to remove... I start them all with 'tmp' then use that filter thing to find and remove them all.

...EY, Rodney! You always there!!! (Fortunately :))

If you save a default project with the filters already in it you can reuse those over and over again.

Well, it seems then that could be like a good solution, definitely I'll try it, THANKS!

Filters can be created easily and are seldom used in dissimilar projects.

Do you really want to save all your filters in every project?

But preciselly for doesn't have to save it in every project I'll wish they can be keeped by the program itself... Basically I was thinking that in most general filters like Right/Left for bones and similar can be saved with the program and then you have the option to save in your projects those filters specifically created for that project... Hmmm, althought maybe the number of displayed filters could be a problem... but I suppose (suppose..) that could be solved in one or other way... (it's SO easy suppose :P)

Ey, rusty! I had not seen your post, you boys are SO quick and I SO slowly... WELL! So we agree that this is a "little" GREAT feature and I wonder if it couldn't be (even) better if simply it be treated in the same way as other A:M windows are, I mean, in this way...

post-8502-1176093016_thumb.jpg

And with that simple "addition" it'd be possible avoid that problem with the number of possible filters... Well, I know I'm not anybody here (...yet!) but it was only a thought :rolleyes: ...GREETINGS!

• Admin

Ramon,

One of the reasons you'll see me default to available solutions is... well... thats what we have to work with. Everything else is wishful thinking and workaround.

At least the current Filter feature works -and- a few workarounds are available to extend functionality. The textfile nature and SDK suggest other ways of extending the Filter's functionality too.

By all means launch a new feature request in A:M Reports. What you are describing would be useful to others.

As long as you understand the difficulties involved.

There is no such thing as a 'simple addition' when you are working in the core A:M code.

For your idea to work Filters would have to be rewritten.

To maintain permanency Filters would have to be stored in DLLs or files in the A:M directory... no longer in the files themselves.

But to keep from angering long time users the old method would have to be maintained too right?

So now we have two methods of Filtering? One permanent? One tied to the Project?

This isn't getting more simple.... its getting more complex.

Understand also (and I know you do) that Hash Inc works through priorities then finds the time to add these new features into new releases. Add in the other features everyone thinks would be 'cool' and we start to see how long the wait could be.

Its good also to realise that implementing this feature (any feature for that matter) will bump something else from the list. Is this the most important thing to you at the moment? If it is... life sure is good. :)

Permanent filters, which is a good idea, takes a few moments to workaround via the current implementation, and can work as you envision when reusing the same project file. Balance that against against other feature requests for things not currently available and we begin to see where our feature requests fall in the list of priorities.

Again... submit these to A:M Reports.

It's not likely to be implemented otherwise.

This looks like an excellent opportunity for 3rd Party intervention.

Through the SDK and file format searching (these files are XML compatible doncha know) other solutions can be explored.

Then users would have the core functionality still in place and the extension power of permanent filters available too.

Those discussing this thread before you were trying to understand how Filtering works. Extending current functionality is fodder for new features. The nature of feature requests in the forum are such that they soon can get out of hand. Which is why they run afowl of the forum guidelines.

Post those puppies to A:M Reports! :)

Rodney

But THANK YOU for you time writing all that! :) And sorry for my late... Well, only to say that I think I understood all that you wrote ((I think...) although I must investigate more about that SDK part...) and well, maybe I'll keep my "Feature Request" right (...) to another one more important to me... As you say, there is no easy thing when we are talking about software addons/modifications and it seems that there are another easy solutions to make this feature more like I'd wish instead turn to developers... Lately I'm reading all the time that thousands of tRiLlioNs of that "Feature Requests" are filling every day the A:M Reports departament and... who knows if this couldn't be the last straw! :-S ...Jeje, well, as I said before thank you and I'm happy at least this feature be there (sometimes the PWS Window becomes SO huge! :blink:), although (as usually...) it doesn't be exactly like in my dreams :rolleyes: ...BYE!

• Admin

Just make it 1 trillion and one.

Hash Inc is very responsive to reports entered into A:M Reports.

Who knows... they might be working on filter enhancements as we speak.

Bottom line: A:M Reports works.

At least you know Hash Inc has it on file if you report it.

Take care Ramon.

...HI again! :D

:angry: :angry: :angry:JUST MAKE IT 1 TRILLION AND ONE!!! (faked :))

Jeje... Well now I can tell them that you force me ;)

...Hum, even could be that I prepare new and better faked sreenshots to make it more "eye-catching" :rolleyes:

Who knows... they might be working on filter enhancements as we speak.

...HOPE! ^_^