Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New Character/prop/thingy

Hi everyone,

Well, the school holidays end and so does my productivity. Before I get back into the nitty grity of teaching students, I thought people might be interested in the latest 'character' to use the term loosely. There is a little test animation on the below link

http://www.shaunfreeman.com/ant.htm

ant_large.jpg

I rigged this guy by hand using Billy Egginton's setup, as it seemed easier given he has SIX legs? It took a while, but I am happy with the result

In any case, peoples thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice motion! :) It's not a scuttle or a crawl, or a gait -- forbid it should be a gait -- but something really very ant-like.

His exoskeleton has a very slightly plastic look to it, but since we don't see ants on this scale (most often), there probably isn't a lot to do about that.

If I had known one of my teachers was a 3D animator, I would have thought he was really cool. Heheh.

I'd like to comment but I'm afraid it would be just another one of those fan-boy posts. Aww what the hay ... I love it!

I think the motion is very good. In case you haven't seen it yet check here for some more insect goodness! Another short in progress.

The Mantis Parable

I'm not comparing your work to this at all Shaun, just thought you'd find it interesting. He's got some nice insect like movement test there.

Doug

Squish/spray my ant?? After all the work I put in??? :D

His exoskeleton has a very slightly plastic look to it

I thought about texturing him properly rather than just using group properties, but he's such a small thing on the screen there's no real point spending much time doing that as it would go unnoticed.

I have seen the Mantis Parable. I like the guys attention to detail, and his textures are quite special. Yet another inspiring animator to watch I reckon!

Nice footwork! My only crit is that the antennae are kinda dead. If you watch a real ant, those antennae are always in motion. But, as you mentioned, if this guy is so small on screen, it may not be worth the time it takes to set the keyframes.

Later,