Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Render Animations in Half the Time?

largento

Came across this today:

Flowframes

It uses AI to interpolate inbetween frames. So, if you rendered every other frame of your animation (half as many frames), it could provide the inbetween frames. 

I haven't tried it yet (it's Windows only), but depending on your animation, it might be a way to cut render times in half.

• Like 1

• Hash Fellow

I remember last time I tried the "cloud" version of After Effects it had a feature to re-time footage. It could create smooth 30fps from 24fps or interpolate more frames for super-slo-mo.

It seemed to work well... even before AI. I think it was using the "motion prediction" that is part of MPEG compression.

Hadn't thought of using it for animation, however.

I recall, back when home HDTV was being introduced, watching "Incredibles" on a big screen at an electronics store.

I was baffled by how bad it looked, it was all floaty and mushy. It didn't look that bad in the theater! Or did it? :dontknow:

Later, I surmised that these sets had a "sports" setting that would somehow bump the frame rate to 60fps. That must have been the problem.