sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

iPads for content creation?

Roger

• *A:M User*

Is anyone out there using iPad devices for either 2D artwork or other content creation?    I don't imagine there is any way to run AM on one, short of figuring out a way to run a virtual Windows PC on one (not even sure that is possible).   So I guess the primary use would be sketching/garage band. 

The main attraction for me is the portability factor:   no dragging around a 5+ pound laptop, no big power brick.   12+ hour battery life.  

A quick search of the app store turns up some decent paint/sketching apps, storyboarding, 2D animation and stop motion tools but not much in the way of 3D.

I mean, it won't replace your desktop but for sketching/storyboard/flash style animation it might not be a bad option.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

I'm pretty sure A:M would run on a Microsoft Surface which is pretty light (just under 2 pounds) and portable.

However, I sense the trend for 3D work is more screenspace rather than less. Big giant monitors to have all the control panels and timeline available.

And you still want a keyboard. A:M and Maya and I presume the others favor use of keyboard shortcuts to quickly select tools.

I've thought about getting an old used Surface to use as an e-reader and 2D painter but... I never go anywhere so the portability isn't all that needed.

• *A:M User*
3 minutes ago, robcat2075 said:

I'm pretty sure A:M would run on a Microsoft Surface which is pretty light (just under 2 pounds) and portable.

However, I sense the trend for 3D work is more screenspace rather than less. Big giant monitors to have all the control panels and timeline available.

And you still want a keyboard. A:M and Maya and I presume the others favor use of keyboard shortcuts to quickly select tools.

I've thought about getting an old used Surface to use as an e-reader and 2D painter but... I never go anywhere so the portability isn't all that needed.

Yeah I'm not sure AM or 3D in general is a good fit for an iPad type device.   I guess I'm attracted to the sketching/storyboarding aspect more than I am trying to animate on one.   I've got some experience with supporting MS Surfaces through work and they seem to overheat a lot.   You are after all talking about a 20-30W Intel CPU compared to a 2-5W ARM SOC.  I've yet to see an iPad overheat or break down due to a fan failure.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using a Wacom Mobile Studio Pro tablet PC (blows away a Surface Pro) for Hash and ZBrush (also Adobe suite) for years and it's awesome.

An iPad option would be great on my 12.9 inch iPad Pro, but I've been using tons of other 3D apps for years on the iPad and iPhone. If iPad had supported Java there is a cool Java copy of the old Hash toolset and interface in the app called JPatch (Java version of SPatch) It can create AM compatible models and export. Great stuff for on the go modeling to finish later in A:M.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jpatch/

Perhaps JPatch can be run on Android phones/tablets - haven't tried it yet.

look familiar?

Modeler main window

There is also a fancier version of SPatch called Hamapatch which can still be downloaded here (bottom of page). It imports and exports the A:M MDL format. :-) 
http://www.flat2d.com/hamapatch.html

iPad also make an amazing mobile music making platform with apps by Moog, Korg, Artutria, and many others.

• Hash Fellow
19 hours ago, KingVidiot said:

I've been using a Wacom Mobile Studio Pro tablet PC (blows away a Surface Pro) for Hash and ZBrush (also Adobe suite) for years and it's awesome.

That's a serious PC, whats the battery life on that?

Perhaps JPatch can be run on Android phones/tablets - haven't tried it yet.

Something I've been thinking would be cool is to make a Cardboard VR viewer for A:M models that would run on an Android phone.  If Jpatch is open source, the patch display code (something I don't think is available in the A:M SDK) might be useable for that.

Not that I'm programmer enough to do it.