Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Can't open old models

jnord71

Hello.  I have been away from Animation Master for 3-4 years.  I have been trying to open some old models I made.  I have version 19P installed.  When I try to open the models I get an error saying "invalid model file".  One of my theories for this is I made the models in version 18.  I am pretty sure I made my models in the version with the anteater.  I have downloaded several installers for version 18 and 17 (18p, 18o, 18m, etc) and everytime I go to install, it says I am installing 19p with the figure of what looks like a spanish exporer. 

If I remember correctly the newer software should open older models.  Am I correct about this?  If so, do you have any thoughts as to why the models will not open?  If I am wrong, would someone please show me where I can find the installers for the older versions?

I have attached some of the models if someone feels like trying to open them.  

Another theory I have is that they are altered.  I had a hard drive die and these files were on it.  I supposedly restored them, but maybe it did not work.  If this is the problem, is there anything that can be done?  I have my doubts, but thought it was worth asking.

Thank you 

praying mantis - geometry done - texture done - rigging_09.mdl Jeep Wrangler8 - without wheels and tires.mdl wheels and tires only.mdl disc golf basket dynamic constraint.mdl

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you get your "old" versions from? You would have to go to FTP server. The links in the forum might always be the same and always point to the newest version.

You can get to that here:
ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/updates/
(be aware that some modern browsers no longer do FTP connections by themselves and you will have to use a program like FileZilla to access it. Do not ask me why please ;))

To make them run after installing, just copy the file "master0.lic" from your v19 folder to the v18 (or whatever) folder.

As far as I know it should however not be a problem to open files from v18 in v19. But I get the same error so it might be wise to test it with v18.
It might be that models below v10 can no longer be read in (there was a major shift in the model format), but I am not even sure about that. Maybe there still is a converter in A:M for that.

What I can see about those files you attached: They are very strange. That is some kind of binary / hex format, not the typical MDL format which is a XML / Plain Text file. Are you sure those are from v18 and didn't have a problem while saving?

Best regards
*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

Hi Jeff,

I'm afraid something is seriously mangled about those files. That is disappointing.

When you look at an A:M file in a text editor it should look like  XML with human readable words and formatting. These look like random characters.

I have v18 installed, it can't open them either but v19 should be able to open anything back to v5 anyway.

Thank you for checking, guys.  I was afraid of that.  I don't believe it worked when i "restored" them from the dead hard drive.  I have one more idea to try before I give up.  I am going to look at another old hard drive.  They/some of them may still be there.

Thank you for the link, Fucher.  I was trying to get the older versions from the forum.  I will look at the link you posted.