sprockets Hans Donuts Featured USS Midnight spotlight Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New forum a bit laggy?

Roger

• *A:M User*

I've noticed ever since we switched to the new forum, it seems laggy as all get-out.

I'm on a Core Duo system with 2gb RAM and while I realize that that level system is getting a bit long in the tooth, it isn't hopelessly obsolete.

Just wondering what accounts for the slowness. Does the new forum software use a bunch of Flash?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

No flash that I'm aware of, definitely none on the front end, although I know the old forum allowed flash avatars linked externally.

I think IP Board has flash fallbacks for some browsers but mostly for modules that aren't enabled for us (chat, downloading, marketplace, etc.)

You might try browsing the forum in 'mobile' mode. (via the theme setting at the bottom left of the forum).

That will forego any graphics.

2GB of RAM doesn't get us much these days especially if you have programs running in the background.

Most modern OS's require more than that to run.

As an alternative (on older machines_ you might consider setting up a Chromebook USB stick (or Linux) to run browsing... I installed the Chrome OS on a USB to facilitate browsing on a tiny mini-tablet with very little memory and it does pretty good (esp. with mobile theme toggled on). The Chrome OS is basically just a browser as an OS.

I haven't looked into a Win10 USB/CD booting option. I'm not sure of RAM requirements.

You might want to clear your broswer's cache as several graphics have changed recently any new gif animation has to load again from scratch.

• Admin

I just followed my own advice and cleared my browsers (image) cache.

Chrome is running considerably more snappy now. :)

Thanks for posing the question in the first place!

For what it's worth, to date animation in the forum is gif format animation.

I try to limit animation to only one animation per page on the forum. (so you might see one animated image while the rest of the images on the page are static... usually jpg).

I've toyed with the idea of using flash but some folks can't see them so haven't even tested. If they've got gif animation turned off in their browser they should see the first frame of the gif animation.

The main pages animated banner tends to change every two weeks or so or when someone posts something that is easily transferred to animation.