sprockets Hans Donuts 3D Printing USS Midnight 1950s Street Car Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

The best method to combine two Project files?

Rodney

• Admin

Late night thinking here so bear with me...

The term 'best method' is relative here but I'm looking to find a good way to combine a whole lot of Project files (hundreds?) into one single Project file.
There are some difficulties in this. One of the primary obstacles: Same name assets (i.e. materials named material1 in more one project etc.)
Those may have to be dealt with on a case by case basis.

One method that works fairly well:

Embed everything in the Project and then save as a Choreography
Do this for each Project
Import all the Chors into one Project
(I tested this with good results but I believe an important step will be to rename all assets before exporting to Chor to indicate what part of the new Project they belong to. I believe this has the downside of not exporting any asset in the Project that is NOT in the current Chor. Those assets would not be transferrred.)

I'm curious if I'm missing something simple here.
For instance, can we import a Project into another Project?

Going the text editing route is an alternative but with that approach the chance of breaking stuff increases dramatically.

A similar approach might be to use a text merge tool (i.e. with Notepad++) and keep those parts of the file that are required.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

It is not possible to import one PRJ into another PRJ.

For your goal of getting several chors into one PRJ, I think your solution of exporting the chors and reloading them into one PRJ is the right one.

Embedding and Renaming assets beforehand shouldn't be necessary unless you happen to have the same name used by two different assets. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

• Admin

Thanks for the response Robert.

mbedding and Renaming assets beforehand shouldn't be necessary unless you happen to have the same name used by two different assets. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

Yeah, the issue is as I stated above where multiple Projects may have a material named 'Material1' but they are in fact very different materials. Only the names are the same. The same can be assumed for any asset that keeps the default name (Action1, Action2, Choreography 1, etc..

I had a little success with Transforming a Project into a Chor via a text editor and that could lead to an easier collecting via import of the Chors.

I messed up though in that once I imported the Chor into a new (empty) Project I forgot to save and A:M crashed because of the little things that I hadn't accounted for.

Saving the Project should allow A:M to automatically repair those as they aren't essential to any Project.