Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

CFA problem

Have been working on a model of a young boy for the next project. Learnt some lessons last time so was cautious this time around, saved regularly in different iterations as progress was made. Installed the 2008 rig up to the point were it said, " set up cp weights and smartskin", so have spent the past few days trying to get that ready for next phase of the rig installation.

Had been working on half a model then intended to copy flip attach before going on to finish the rig installation. However, every time I try to CFA it crashes out the program. Sometimes when I reopen it then crashes when I just try to copy before pasting.

I have tried it in V15 and V18 with the same result each time. There are no decals on the model and no particular features. Would anybody have the time to try it and see if they have the same problem. If you can suggest a cure I would be very happy !!!

regards

simonCharlie__Rig_08_.mdl

Ps

An observation was made a few weeks ago that I have a lot of groups in the PWS that is still the case with this model but ( honest !) I was intending to edit those later. It was just to keep track of everything in the process...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

My initial attempts are that I can select any portion and CFA but not the whole model. :D

I'm still investigating that.

On a separate issue I'll note that the hair and eyebrows seems to have been made by selecting a portion of the scalp and extruding outward. This is a less than ideal practice as it creates interior patches between them which you can see by looking between the scalp and hair mesh. Those can create bad render artifacts and the extrusion process makes the splines on teh surface of the hair not continuous. That's why it has that polygon appearance.

A better tactic would be to copy a portion of the scalp, scale it outward, then extrude just the outer edge of that new surface back down to the scalp

First impressions here is that there are a lot of spline continuity/direction errors in the body and clothes as well as unintended internal patches in the head/hair area. I think it's these that are giving A:M a hard time knowing how to C/F/A the model!

The pants and shirt (surprisingly!) work when done separately but the body geometry is just a step to far for A:M to cope with.

• Hash Fellow

I'm finding several cases where the "center" spline isn't very centered or has odd loops where it turns back away from center or has an undesirable loop crossing it.

An actual crash shouldn't happen because of these things so it might be useful to send this version in as an A:M report, but there are probably enough odd circumstances to give CFA unexpected trouble.

• Hash Fellow

While I'm here... the mouth cavity seems to be attached to the outside edge of the lip on the face. typically the mouth cavity would be a continuation from where the inside of the lip is entering the mouth just as in a real person.

Robert, Mark, Robert and Robert...

Thank you very much for your helpful replies. Much appreciated.

My modelling skills are not of the highest order, so the model is adapted from a "Make Human " model. The mouth cavity was only added just before the crashes started. I will have a look at the things you suggested and report back later.

Tank you both.

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow

Here's a version that will survive CFA with just a few omissions that need to be repaired manually. Basically i made sure that everything that was supposed to be a center spline really was at x=0 and had nothing shooting past it to the other side.

HalfCharlie.mdl

If you haven't seen my Copy flip Attach Basics video I recommend watching that.

In general I think there are WAY more splines to make shapes than are needed which will create unnecessary work when rigging. For example the spline that outlines the shape of the lips doesn't need nearly so many CPs. (I realize that some of this excess splineage is the result of the tut in TAoA:M so it's not like you weren't following directions, but i don't like those directions)

There are also many dead end splines where a CP is stuck on the side of a regular four point patch. Those should be ended as hooks.

There are many dead end splines that end where two splines are already crossing. Those should be unattached and moved to end as a hook.

Dead end splines make bad patches that create unnecessary creases.

Robert

Thank you once again for your help, and your tutorials. Very much appreciated.

I had thought that the centre line was zeroed and the loops removed but plainly missed somethings. Didn't know what a deadend spline was until watching the giraffe tut, will try to correct those too.

I think my impatience is getting the worst of me. When I redo the figure from scratch I'll try to avoid the "make Human" shortcut option. The mesh is workable that results but even I thought it over complex.

Progress is slow but ( barely ) discernible.

regards

simon