Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Duplicating objects in a Choreography

TommyDAQ2

I've got another one for you guys...

I search these forums but just can't come up with the right answers...

I need to put about 20 to 40 Thoms on my stage, each at about 20% scale. I tried using the "duplicator" plugin wizard, but doesn't seem to work. It scales relative to the last copy each time. Also need to add the same action to them all. Can I add the action to them before I bring them in??? Please help. Running late!!!

Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow
I need to put about 20 to 40 Thoms on my stage, each at about 20% scale.

RMB in the Chor window and use Wizards> Multiple Copies plugin will add any number of a model.

In the PWS, SHIFT-select them all and you can set the transform property for one to Scale them all simultaneously

• Hash Fellow

If you have a Path in the Chor you can RMB on it to use the Multiple Models on a Path Plugin (the models don't end up all inthe same place)

If you have a plane inthe Chor you can RMB on it and use Simple Scatter plugin for a more random placement

If you have a Path in the Chor you can RMB on it to use the Multiple Models on a Path Plugin (the models don't end up all inthe same place)

If you have a plane inthe Chor you can RMB on it and use Simple Scatter plugin for a more random placement

Thanks Rodney. I did figure out the multiple copies and that worked for me! However adding the actions (just a pose) to each character was very tedious. Is there a way to either bring the character in with the action (or pose), or add to multiple at once?

thanks,

• Admin

There are many different approaches depending on your target/goal so.... not enough info at this point.

Are these static poses or are they in the midst of an animated movement?

Is there a way to either bring the character in with the action (or pose), or add to multiple at once?

Most definitely yes.

• Hash Fellow
However adding the actions (just a pose) to each character was very tedious. Is there a way to either bring the character in with the action (or pose), or add to multiple at once?

If it's just... one pose?... make the pose as an ON OFF Pose or Slider Pose in the character.

you can SHIFT select all the models in the chor again and set the pose on one to make them all do the same.

• Admin

There are so many possibilities my head is spinning (and I'm learning new things testing the possibilities so I thank you for your question!)

In line with what Robert suggests...

Let's assume that you want to create a crowd (initially of the same character but later replacing some as the need fits).

If all your characters have a Pose named 'Hit their mark' and that is set to 'On' you could save that out from an Action and then Import and Duplicate via the Multiple Models plugin. (Note: There is a plugin or setting that allows for varying actions but I don't see that at the moment).

Open that 'in motion' model and add it to the Chor.

When multiplying the model stagger them to the left or right via the Translate option and also rotate them on the Y axis to get a different view of the pose.

To organize your crowd you can create folders and drag and drop randomly (or purposefully) selected characters into those folders.

This can be handy for later editing as you may want to have one group of people in the crowd 'screaming' while others are 'docile', 'weeping', whatever.

If you want to really up the ante then you can use Flocking to drive multiple models in a Chor.

This is especially useful if you want to have characters move and yet avoid one another.

Some careful consideration must be made when creating actions for the crowd to perform and again organization is key.

Several different crowds/flocks can be set up to drive different performances.

Added: It also occurs to me that we can fake many an action.

For instance, in the attached image I've used one action to drive what at a glance looks to be different movement by multiple characters when in fact it is just the same character/setup rotated and translated.

And of course, if the character hasn't hit their mark we can go in and adjust them into their proper place/pose.

And best of all... all this takes is a few minutes working between an Action Window (to create the initial pose setup) and in the Chor (to duplicate and modify our stage/performance).

same_but_different.jpg

• Admin

This was a fun one.

This 'Crowdy Knights' exploration returns me to a project I wanted to do when I first picked up Animation:Master.

I wasn't smart enough to create the crowd effects back then but perhaps it is time to try again. :)

The project file is included as an attachment in the PDF file.

A few notes:

Scroll through the pages with mouse or arrow keys to see the animation.

Observe the automatic staggering of the run cycle on the different knights.

This Action offset is set in the Flocking/Crowd/Swarm properties.

The setup is very simple:

One Chor

One Character (Knight)

One Action (Run)

Not all frames are in the document (every other frame is shown).

The effect is set to display the multiple models as dots in the Chor.

I did this mainly to cut down on slowness of response when I ramped the number of Knights up to 50 for a little while.

As flocking is a particle effect... make sure you have particles set to 'On'.

Scroll through the pages with mouse or arrow keys to see the animation.

Added: I don't think most online PDF browsers/viewers allow you to see and access the attachment. For that you have to download the PDF file.

CrowdyNights__wAttachment_.pdf

This has all been really great stuff guys (and Rob, sorry I called you Rodney - just saw that as I was reading over the thread).

I haven't been in the software enough lately, and I guess I was thinking poses were only related to actions and not the character themselves.

What I had to do, I already had to get out yesterday, but I'm going to play with this for a bit. It definitely sounds useful.

One thing I was noticing Rodney, when adding all of these characters and actions, is the PWS, namiely the Choreography section, really gets out of hand. It'd be nice if you could add a "folder" so that you could tuck away items you're not using, or actively adjusting - kinda like the "groups" folders in Photoshop. Just a thought for future versions.

• Hash Fellow
One thing I was noticing Rodney, when adding all of these characters and actions, is the PWS, namiely the Choreography section, really gets out of hand. It'd be nice if you could add a "folder" so that you could tuck away items you're not using, or actively adjusting - kinda like the "groups" folders in Photoshop. Just a thought for future versions.

Good news! You can RMB on the Choreography and do New>Folder

Name it and drag other chor items into it as desired.

Good news! You can RMB on the Choreography and do New>Folder

Name it and drag other chor items into it as desired.

Dang!!! I've really got to learn this stuff better! Thanks Rob!!!