sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Incredible Star Trek Rotoscoping

Darkwing

A friend of mine sent me this link earlier today and I must say, it blew my mind so I thought I'd share. In short, some fan took a short clip from the original series of Star Trek and rotoscoped out the bridge and replaced it with one they designed and built. It is very amazing, makes me wanna crack out After Effects for the whole 5 minutes before I get frustrated, realizing I can't roto like that haha.

http://vimeo.com/12023417

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty cool. Astonishing how "modernized" the footage looks with a more advanced set design.

Pity it's so short, but frame-by-frame matting out the bg doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

I'm going to admit, this clip has really got me intrigued over the process and I've started looking into being able to do it myself. It appears After Effects CS6 can do 3D motion tracking from 2D footage. If I can find some way to export that into BVH or something that the AM camera could attach to, I'd probably be able to have the camera motion line up in AM and then integrate CG elements in a similar fashion as in the video. I think the real trick for me (if all of that works) is getting that photorealistic lighting. I noticed in the video there were multiple passes of different things (such as RGB lighting and grain and colour correction) so I'm curious to know how we'd approach something like that in AM. What are the different passes and how do you integrate them properly?

I'm going to admit, this clip has really got me intrigued over the process and I've started looking into being able to do it myself. It appears After Effects CS6 can do 3D motion tracking from 2D footage. If I can find some way to export that into BVH or something that the AM camera could attach to, I'd probably be able to have the camera motion line up in AM and then integrate CG elements in a similar fashion as in the video. I think the real trick for me (if all of that works) is getting that photorealistic lighting. I noticed in the video there were multiple passes of different things (such as RGB lighting and grain and colour correction) so I'm curious to know how we'd approach something like that in AM. What are the different passes and how do you integrate them properly?

That was sweet. I'm still in the process of learning how to integrate live/A:M or A:M/A:M so I've got a ton of distance to go. Love to be able to put something like that together someday

Rich

I'm thinking it would be easier to bring the 3D set into AfterEffects and do the tracking and camera motion there. You're going to have to make sure your green screen set matches the dimensions of your model. I'd probably try to make the chairs out of real objects rather than have to animate 3D models to overlay the chair your actor is sitting in.

The guys over at Film Riot just demo'd using the Element 3D plug-in to add 3D items into a 2D shot in After Effects.

Element 3D plugin in this episode.

Shooting 2D & placing 3D items in this episode.

Camera Tracking in this episode.

I'm thinking it would be easier to bring the 3D set into AfterEffects and do the tracking and camera motion there.

Hmm, I dunno. I've personally always had difficulty in the export process. Not to mention that to get realistic lighting and all that fun stuff, I'm just more accustomed to the AM toolset. Still going to experiment though, at least when I get a chance in between studying...

I don't shoot any live stuff, but I'm seriously considering getting the Element3D City Bundle. I have a couple of sequences that take place in the city for the Wobbling Dead and I'd really rather not have to model a ton of buildings. I could alternately try to bring the files into A:M or just do the character animation in A:M and composite that with the background in AE.

If I went the former, I could just buy the Metropolitan Pack for $125. Bundled, I get Element3D & the Metropolitan Pack for $195.

The pack is awfully enticing, though. Over 100 models with HD day & night textures. If I go with Element3D, I can make use of 10 City Templates, meaning I could just start with a whole city and not even have to arrange the buildings.

[EDIT] Although, now that I started watching their demo video, they are saying that you can make a convincing city with only 6 or 7 buildings, randomly placed at 90 degree angles and adjusting their heights.

Maybe I'll save my money and just make six buidlings by myself. :-)