Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Can Hair/Shag Emitter be copied and Pasted?

Tom

Hello-

I was playing around with hair and decided that because of the complexity of the final model, I would create the hair separately as another "object" and then copy, paste it onto the final model when the hair was groomed perfect.

That seemed to work OK when the Hair was a "material" that was applied to model "patches" however, when I tried the same thing using hair on a SINGLE spline with a "Shag emitter" material applied it only copied the spline and NOT the hair "Shag emitter" with it.

Has anyone else been able to copy, paste a SINGLE spline with a shag emitter applied, from one model window to another successfully?

The benefits would seem to be that sometimes hair can be a bit tricky to get just right. When using the grooming tool etc it can take a bit of time to get just the right effect for a certain "look". If an artist had a group of characters with the same hair style it would be great to create a single model of just that hair style and then copy paste it into all the appropriate models without having to re-sculpt the hair for each one.

Has anyone been able to do this with SINGLE splines with "Shag emitter" applied?

Thanks for any tricks or work-arounds on this one...

Tom

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow
Has anyone else been able to copy, paste a SINGLE spline with a shag emitter applied, from one model window to another successfully?

If copy doesn't work, how about saving one model and importing it into the second?

You may even be able to drag one model into another in the PWS.

Thanks for the suggestions robcat!

Those were all good workaround tries but unfortunately I couldn't get any of them to work...[darn]

I wonder why they software ignores the "Shag Emitter" when doing things like this...

I know you can export a model in motion from the Choregraphy window as another separate mode. For instance...if you have a walk cycle you can export any of those individual walking frames a separate model. Is there any way to export two models as a new combined model?

Thanks for any insights...

Tom

• Hash Fellow
I know you can export a model in motion from the Choregraphy window as another separate mode. For instance...if you have a walk cycle you can export any of those individual walking frames a separate model. Is there any way to export two models as a new combined model?

Put both models in a chor and export the chor as a model.

Do they HAVE to be one model?

For this one case could you just constrain the hair model to the character model in the chor?

Cool Trick ...Thanks!

I also realized that even though I couldn't import the Shag emitter splines into other objects, I could always import other objects into the spline object window.

Kind of work backwards...

Save the same hair as identical multiple objects, and then import the characters into those windows.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Tom