Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Little Red Imp

This is meant to be a little demonic imp that flaps around and acts as a mascot for another as-yet-unmodelled character.

The funny thing is that I just recently had some new insight into the A:M modelling process. Tonight I took this partially done model, that had been sitting on my hard drive for a few months, and added the wings and legs - and the bat wing skeleton is probably the most complex splinesmanship I've done in A:M. I managed it in about twice my usual modelling speed :)

-Sean Givan

post-7-1079314615.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sean

the bat wing skeleton is probably the most complex splinesmanship I've done in A:M.

Wot? :blink:

Are you talking about the bones for the wings or the actual fronds which you have modeled from which the wing skin hangs?

Anyway could we have the picture again but lighter - can't see too much ;)

Gazzmatazz, I meant the modelling of the wing fronds. There were four 4-CP cylinders meeting in one place, and I had to use a fair number of hooks, 5ps, and spline rerouting to get it smooth.

Grubber, Yes, he's meant to be a funny character, and you're right about the legs.

Here's what I've got right now.. he's got a bone setup, so the next step is to figure out what textures would look good on him.

post-7-1079472367.jpg

Okay.. added a shoulder bone, a neck bone, and added some smartskin in various other trouble spots. Also removed that U-shaped spline rising up the hip, since it was interfering with waist twists.

Smartskin turned out pretty heavy in the hip area, due to the wierdness of how the legs stuck out of the bulb-shaped lower torso.

Also, tried out porcelain on the figure - and was pleased with the results, so I'm going to keep it for this model.

Here's a mild-mannered pose, just to demonstrate the changes. Still a few patches that I have to flip normals on, and on the right arm in the wrist area, too many hooks are confusing the porcelain shader.

post-7-1079560125.jpg

Give him a tail!

And that's that black area on his shoulder? :huh:

The patch on his shoulder's just a left-over porcelain flaw. I'm on it.

A tail? Ummm.. no. :)

If you look carefully, you'll see that I removed the horns on his head and put them on the wingtips. :) I have a clear idea of what I want to make.