Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New Comic Image from PJC--Dark Days

patrick_j_clarke

The comic is called Dark Days, it's a sequel to the immensely popular 30 days of night by Steve Niles. I hope he likes it enough to put it in the book as a pin-up or cover. We'll see!

I really had to turn off the "make it photoreal" switch in my head since I was going to ink the piece, so it has more of a comic feel.

Rendered in 10.5.

All geometry, flocking system with 65 bats with a flying action hooked up.

10 hours at 2200 X 3300 on my dual P4 2.8 Xeon (only using one Proc of course). Rendered multipass, 49 passes.

Then rendered pure b&w outline toon render.

Took into Photoshop and inked with toon render as base.

Textures are my wife for the woman and my ugly mug for the vampires.

DarkDaysCover1v2small.JPG

Don't know if it's quite "finished" as in I might do some more Photoshop work in the inks, etc, but the AM rendering is pretty solid.

- pjc

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Patrick

I love the setting mood youve done with the lighting ,the image just keeps getting better and better.

Dont do to much more It seems to me that all of the elemnts you have tried to achieve are there and you've spent to long looking at it to be objective <_<

Its just Great Work ( as usual ) :D

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long delay, I keep forgetting about this forum.... :P

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them. For some reason when I get this image to the web, it really darkens the image, gotta figure out why....it's not that dark for real....

what about blurring out the moon a bit? Does it detract too much from the focal point?

- pjc

• 2 months later...

I hate to nitpick, but the astro-geek in me just has to point out that the Moon can never be viewed from that angle on Earth. Mare Orientale is never fully exposed (the dark spot at lower left) even at maximum libration.

Other than that, great pic! :)