Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Wandering hips

Simon Edmondson

I'm not a new user but am unsure where to ask the question so ...?

I am doing a little character test for a figure and have it sitting on a stool but I keep getting positional drift on the hip null.

I tried using Hold for the interpolation method to no avail.

I tried using zero slope, again no joy.

I deleted all the key frames for the hips except the one on frame 0, still no luck, It keeps drifting

I have deleted the keyframes for the foot targets too so neither they or the hips should move after frame 0. ~Still the hips keep drifting position.

Is there something I am missing here ?

regards

simon

Mac OSX 10-68, V15J,

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not a new user but am unsure where to ask the question so ...?

I am doing a little character test for a figure and have it sitting on a stool but I keep getting positional drift on the hip null.

I tried using Hold for the interpolation method to no avail.

I tried using zero slope, again no joy.

I deleted all the key frames for the hips except the one on frame 0, still no luck, It keeps drifting

I have deleted the keyframes for the foot targets too so neither they or the hips should move after frame 0. ~Still the hips keep drifting position.

Is there something I am missing here ?

regards

simon

Mac OSX 10-68, V15J,

Sorry

I should have added that I am using the 2001 rig off of the CD

Also check your "Model Bone" itself...and any other "area" controllers you might have on your rig. If that has a key on it somewhere, it might have a wide spline curve making the shift.

Pardon my ignorance but, How do you check that ? I don't know what an area controller is and where would I check it ?

I am using the 2001 rig

regards

simon

Whisperin_Grass.prj

It's very difficult to diagnose this sort of stuff by text message. If you can post something, that will be so much more transparent. :)

Rob

Thank you for your response. I did post to the address you suggested but here is the file ( hope it works ).

Thank you both for your time.

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow

OK, I see it.

The ultimate problem is that ghastly "balance" feature built into the AM2001 rig. Worst idea ever. It's a fake sort of averaging of the hips to the feet positions and not at all a good approximation of real "balance". Send your complaints to Rafael Anzovin who invented that.

If I delete the second key on "Balance Right Foot" the drifting of the hips will stop. You may have moved it inadvertently.

However, I recommend you go back to frame 0, set the User Properties "Balance" and "Balance Rigid" to 0% and then delete all the "Balance" channels in the action. Then repose anything as necessary.

Posing the character's hips and feet will be far more predictable with those two "Balance" sliders set to 0. Do that at the outset for any animation you embark on with the AM2001 rig.

Rob

Thank you, that fixed the wandering hips.

On a related question if I may?

The bone for the Balance right foot seems to have grown to a huge length so that when I switch viewpoints the figure is very small in the view because it is allowing for the extra length.

I have deleted the channel keys and adjusted it in the original model to 30cm but, it doe not appear to make a difference in the action?

Is there a way around this ?

regards

simon

• Hash Fellow

Sometimes a bone gets set to an absurd length. I'm not sure why.

Select the bone (or Null) in the model (not in the Action) and change its "length" property to something more normal.

If you have the show-properties triangle enabled you can see this property in the PWS, otherwise you can see it in the Properties Window.

BoneSize.JPG

Rob

Thank you once again for your response.

I tried that and entered a more suitable value. 10.27 cm ( same as the left ), but the problem remains.

I've tried going through all the bones in the properties section and checking the length value but they all seem reasonable.

When I select make all bones visible they all seem to be in the right length.

Do you think I should report it as a fault ?

regards

simon

Ps you must be a very early riser !