Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Mirror image

larswik

I forgot what it is called but I modeled half of my guy on the left side, and since he is symmetrical there was a way to copy, invert (mirror image) and attach the other part to him. I thought it was Mirror Mode but reading up on that tool it is designed for making adjustments to the right and left sides at the same time. I would look for it but I don't remember what it was called?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

There are two (preferred) ways to mirror a model. Of course there are other ways such as actually making a surface 100% reflective.

The first and most commonly used is Copy/Flip/Attach (CFA or C/F/A for short)

With this method you what to have your center line aligned then Right Click.

In the menu you will see Copy Flip Attach

Select that

Do this a few times and you will start to see when and where the process works best.

There are a few 'tricks' to getting C/F/A to work best.

The second method (often preferred by seasoned modelers) is to drop two instances of the same model into a Choreography and scale one of them to -100% on the X axis. This will produce mirror images of the model and update as you change the original. Where necessary you can export that model and use that.

The reason the second is generally preferred is that you don't need to actually build both halves of the whole model but it does help to see both halves in place. Anytime you feel like seeing the whole model while Modeling, just look at the Choreography. When you are completely done either C/F/A or export the Chor as a Model.

ahhh hah. That is where it is located. I looked through all them menus but I can see it now when I right click. when I just tried it it worked for the most part. There were a couple 5 point patches that disappeared but I can fix that. I will check out the the other method as well.

Thanks

There were a couple 5 point patches that disappeared but I can fix that. I will check out the the other method as well.

For the least amount of hand monkeying, and frustration with CFA, try to not have hooks or 5 point patches involving the center or "flip" spline. You will most likely have to fix up those areas manually if you do have them.

There are some areas that I can't see getting away from a 5 point patch. My model is closest to the Thom model so I looked at the patch under his leg by the crotch area and it was a 5 point to. My feet and hands are difficult to model without getting lots of seems that show up. I am trying to build some animations for my iPhone app and I am looking for this kind of generic look of the guy http://www.sikuvo.com/3d-human-white-icons But in this case you can't hide seems if the character is white.

These renders look like Global Illumination renderings with no textures and Ambient Occlusion. If anyone has any ideas for setting up render settings to help me achieve this look I would be thankful.

These renders look like Global Illumination renderings with no textures and Ambient Occlusion. If anyone has any ideas for setting up render settings to help me achieve this look I would be thankful.

Here's to get you started. I only did 3 pass render - you will get less grainy, the more passes you use.

pretty simple.

start with default choreography, drag your model into it, use these settings to test, then tweak to taste

choreography/Global ambiance type = global Color

choreography/ambiance intensity, ambiance occlusion to 100% (set to taste)

turn off all lights

camera/background color/ white

camera/render/ambiant occlusion = ON

render (Multipass on)

Turn on lights (turn off shadows) if you want it to look "whiter", or decrease Ambiance occlusion (ambiantocclusion.jpg

• Hash Fellow

Don't forget the AO settings in Render to File Settings>Options

AOScreen.png

Ambient Occlusion needs to be ON

"Occlusion sampling" determines the noise vs. speed trade off

It can be set very low for test renders and 30% is usually high enough for most final renders.