sprockets Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Green Lantern Animated Series

largento

gla_786_poster.jpg

I was surprised by this. I haven't been paying attention, so I only just found out that the new Green Lantern show on Cartoon Network is in CGI.

You can see the trailer

It sounds like it's something that was requested of them by the higher-ups, but Bruce Timm seems excited by it. This from an interview:

What is it that dictated the decision to go CGI with that show?

Bruce Timm: A variety of factors. We’ve been—my boss, Sam Register, has been really gung-ho about getting into CGI animation for a long time, and this seemed to be like the perfect opportunity for it. Both because of the fact that, you know, we’ll be coming off of the live-action movie which, everybody knows, will be a big, huge hit and will have a lot of publicity. And so that will give us a leg up, you know, with the new show. Also the idea of it not being set on Earth enabled us to embrace the kind of different qualities that CG brings to the medium. One of the things that I find really frustrating when I look at CG movies is—I’m not a huge fan of the CG properties that try to trick you into thinking you’re looking at a live-action film. I think the most successful CG films so far are the ones that actually have a stylized look. So like I said, setting the show in outer space, it really gave us a chance to stylize the crap out of everything, you know? Rocks and trees and vehicles and buildings and people. So it seemed like a real natural fit for CG...

Obviously an interview prior to the feature's release, which was not a "big, huge hit." :-)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably no different for them in that respect. Do all of the designs, layouts and storyboards and send them to an animation studio. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that it's being done by one of the Asian factories that does their hand-drawn shows.