sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Is it Toon Render?

Bobby

I captured these pictures from " Hezarfen the movie " for study how to render like this with A:M.

08062554_2248_Mix.png

This is the linked.

How to render like this?

Is it a Toon Render with good painted Decal?

Did they use Fog? (notice at far distance)

Have AO in the scene or not?

I tested Toon with multiple lights and Fog without decals and AO/off.

It's not good enough. Please guide me how.

This is my test and my setting.

09062554_2322_TestToon.png

09062554_2306_ToonSet.png

This is the project file.

DogAndDude_Test.prj

Thank you

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

It's not Toon render, that generally means a black line around shapes and flat shading.

I think there is AO, you can see it most in the very shadowed areas. also the ambient light has a blue cast to simulate sky light.

They've textured very carefully to make surfaces interesting without lots of realistic detail.

those are my first observations.

• Hash Fellow

I wish I had the sense of texturing that they have. It's very interesting to study.

pic #1 : the woodgrain effects are the most obvious of the whole set but those are still very slight.

#2: note the slight light and dark patches on the ground and cloth canopies to make them less monotonous. Blue fog in the distance

#3: the guy with the cleaver has a few pink accents on his skin in places to make him less perfect.

#4: the wall has just a few rectangles of color to suggest bricks. Notice how the boxes holding up the table look like they are getting bounce light from the ground. I don't like the left guy's hair.

#5: It looks like they've painted spec reflections onthe piece of wood at the very lower right corner.

In all of them the shadow areas have significant bluish cast.

Good observations. These results are not produced with a 'slider control' or a 'Special Renderer' of any sort. What you are seeing is expertise by either the individual or more likely a team of talented artists. Lots of CGI experience, lots of RnD.

• Hash Fellow

The good news is that's all definitely do-able with A:M. The people textures would have to be made in a paint program but the object textures could also be done with "materials". You'll just need a good eye for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I would also guess they spent a lot of time in Photoshop on the textures. Not necessarily a huge amount of time on any given texture, but I think they tended to put time into creating quick textures on almost everything to hint at geometry instead of actually creating geometry.

For example, in picture 4, look at the clothing on the character in the foreground on the right, especially the collar and the back. I bet those subtle shade-like shadows do not come from lighting and geometry. Same with the clothing on the vendor in the same picture.