sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Writing for CGI

largento

Toonzone had a write-up on the writers of animation panel they had at this year's Wondercon. On the panel were, Mark Evanier, Alan Burnett, Paul Dini and Stan Berkowitz.

The subject of writing for cgi was discussed:

Next came the issue of CGI: did they have to adjust their methods for computer-animated shows? The answer was a universal yes. Evanier said in CGI a model has to be built for every character, thus forcing greater reuse of backgrounds and old characters to save money. Berkowitz said when you write for CGI animation, “you're writing live action” and must budget similarly. Dini gave the example of a finale he had written for a Clone Wars episode: everyone loved it, but the Lucasfilm team was unable to animate the scene because they had gone too far over their background budget.

Whole story is here.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

I check Evanier's blog frequently because he has interesting show-biz anecdotes, but i get the sense that these writers really are hired-guns valued more for reliably cranking something out on schedule than for cranking out something distinctive.

He admits to creating the Scrappy Doo character or at least being partially responsible.

Well, that's why they're professional writers. :-)

I've been a big fan of Evanier's since the 80s. Mostly for his comic book work with Sergio Aragones on Groo the Wanderer. (In point of fact, I don't believe he created Scrappy Doo so much as was the guy who wrote the first episode with him.)

Paul Dini's one of my favorite writers period. He was a story editor on the first season of LOST and wrote many of the key episodes of Batman the Animated Series and the other Warner Bros. series that followed.

Alan Burnett and Stan Berkowitz also both worked on B:TAS and the following series.

The interesting bit I found was how they saw CGI shows as limiting them as writers, rather than freeing them up like most civilians would assume.