Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Basketball Swish

Tom

Hello All-

I have been trying to make a basketball swish through a hoop with netting and do it in a dramatic way. Alas,..so far ..no success.

I have embedded a project for anyone who wants to take a look.

Basically I took a basketball backboard (from an old hash model library) and eliminated everything but the metal hoop and netting. Then I took a Basketball (also from an old model library) to use as the "deflector".

Using Mark Weller's video tutorial on using the Sim cloth simulator I took his suggestion and used the very top row of cps in the netting as the "attached" part of the cloth so that the netting was stuck to the hoop.

Before I even added the basketball to the scene I tested the "netting" to see if it would have any stretch during a "SimCloth Simulation" in Choreography. At first I received an error message that the cps were intersecting so I carefully went back to the "netting" model and moved the points around so that they were not overlapping so closely. I tried running a "SimCloth Simulation" again and got a deformed netting on frame 7 before the software sputtered out with another error message. (please look at attached image to see deformed netting).

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has been able to successfully created a basketball swish using Newton. I'm guessing the software is robust enough but I'm just doing something wrong.

Thanks to any insights you might have.

Tom

BasketballSwish.prj

deformed.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Tom-

I did a 'dunk' animation once(attached)--- which is sorta similar. The net effect was SO fast that I decided I did not need to use any dynamic simulations and instead did it by hand. The netting itself was simply a decal or maybe a patch image (I don't remember) applied to a warped tube... hope any of that helps.

BT_DUNKgoodyear.mov

Very cool John!

-------------------------------------------------

I was thinking of seeing if the AM dynamics could create something where there is a lot of net action (see attached clip).

If it could, I can see a lot of cool camera angles and maybe even creating it in slow motion.

Thanks for the feedback...

Tom

Swish_1.wmv

• Hash Fellow

First, i see is that the net is made of strands that are not really attached to each other where they meet, they just pass through the same space. You have an intersection right at the start which is probably bad. And if the cloth sim ever got past that wouldn't they just fall limp away from each other?

Second, I (this is me, now) would do it all cloth. Make the ball a very rigid cloth object too and drop it through the cloth net. This will be one simulation instead of two.

Third, I can hired to consult on things like this for $25 an hour. ;)

Fourth, Matt's solution is easier than a simulation and will work for a lot of needs.

Thanks Rob!

Good points about the strands not being attached! Hadn't even thought about that..

When you say consult at 25$ , do you mean you would produce finished animation for that fee?

Thanks again,

Tom

• Hash Fellow

Here's a quick attempt using single splines set to "render as lines" in super slo-mo. With some R&D there might be a path to make this move less rigidly and use strands with actual shape.

Hoop000.mov

For some reason the lines on the far side of the net didn't show.

When you say consult at 25$ , do you mean you would produce finished animation for that fee?

No, that's for problem solving and advice so you'll be able to do it yourself.

Something you might try with the net you have is to delete one spline ring at each junction and reattach the leftover CPs to teh spline ring that remains.

I'd start with a simple structure like that that just crosses 4 strands in a tic tac toe grid shape and drop test that first to see if it simulates at all. Then if that worked i'd do that to the whole net and see if that still simulated, then i'd try putting the ball through it.

I see in your prj you had the ball as a deflector material, that will work fine as long as you animate the ball in an appropriate fashion.

Here's a quick attempt using single splines set to "render as lines" in super slo-mo. With some R&D there might be a path to make this move less rigidly and use strands with actual shape.

Hoop000.mov

For some reason the lines on the far side of the net didn't show.

No, that's for problem solving and advice so you'll be able to do it yourself.

Something you might try with the net you have is to delete one spline ring at each junction and reattach the leftover CPs to teh spline ring that remains.

I'd start with a simple structure like that that just crosses 4 strands in a tic tac toe grid shape and drop test that first to see if it simulates at all. Then if that worked i'd do that to the whole net and see if that still simulated, then i'd try putting the ball through it.

I see in your prj you had the ball as a deflector material, that will work fine as long as you animate the ball in an appropriate fashion.

That test you did looks great!

Your suggestions are excellent!

I am aware that you help a lot of people on this forum (including myself) and will keep your offer in mind in the future.

Thanks again!

Tom