sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Bones and rigging for noobs

Pete Stoppel

I'm not new to 3D modeling, I've owned Animation master for 6 years but sadly never used it as I found it intimidating at first.

I am now at a point in my skillset to be able to create cartoon characters but need to be able to add bones and rig them for posing, maybe even export as rigged models for resale.

The thing is I use another 3D app to model with and import my models into AM via 3ds, so the question is can I use an imported mesh in AM if yes how?

I'd like to assign bones and rig them if possible.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3DS uses triangles, and it is not possible to retain any kind of smooth edge loops when importing triangle meshes into A:M. It would be quicker and easier (really!) to learn to model in A:M, than it would be to try to clean up a triangle mesh. If you *must* model in another program, see if that program can export QUADS via obj or .X (3ds can not export as quads as far as I know). If you can get a clean model exported as quads (not triangles) *with good edge loops*, then you have some hope. You will still need to break/re-join splines to create smooth surfaces in A:M after the import, but at least it is doable.

As far as rigging tuts for noobies, these should get you started:

http://amfilms.hash.com/video/196/Building...irst-Rig-Part-1

http://amfilms.hash.com/video/300/Building...irst-Rig-Part-2

http://amfilms.hash.com/video/297/Building...nd-Gizmo-Part-1

http://amfilms.hash.com/video/298/Building...nd-Gizmo-Part-2

Thanks for the responses.

I have deep exploration and can export to both DirectX .x and .obj, but AM only has .mdl, .3ds and one other option available for import, is there an update or plugin I need?

I have the 2005 box version, bought from Fry's.

I have not actually tried the modeling tutorials, in fact I would not know where to find them, I have both the basic app as well as the extra CD. I looked in the HTML tutorials and project tabs and could not find any modeling or rigging guides. The guide book, is someplace, probably with all my junk in garage, if it's in there then I guess this weekend I'll need to hunt for it.

• Hash Fellow
I have deep exploration and can export to both DirectX .x and .obj, but AM only has .mdl, .3ds and one other option available for import, is there an update or plugin I need?

I have the 2005 box version, bought from Fry's.

You really, really, really would be better off modeling in A:M from the start. Rigging and boning is easier in A:M because A:M models are easier to bone and rig. If you aren't starting with an A:M model you're really creating extra complications.

I have not actually tried the modeling tutorials, in fact I would not know where to find them,

ta-daa!

http://www.hash.com/reference.htm

No, learning how to model in A:M is definitely not worse than learning Blender. Modeling is an order of magnitude easier than learning how to rig (for most people) in just about every program I am familiar with. Modeling in A:M is like drawing in a vector art program, but in 3D space. Once you learn how to make valid patches, and how to connect a cylinder to a square, you will be well on your way.

A:M 2005 is a pretty old version. I am assuming you are using Windows. You can find the last update for that version here:

ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/updates/windows/Am2005/

Look for AM2005.EXE

I guess that version required a plugin to import obj models. I'm not sure if A:M 2005 was version 12 or version 13. I have included an obj plugin for both versions. Use the one that works. Unzip it and place it in the "hxt" folder in the Hash program folder.

OBJ_v12.zip

OBJ_v13.zip

The tutorials will be an enormous help from "The Art of Animation Master" found in the store.

I used to model mostly with nurbs and polygons and was a little lost when I went to AM and the tutorials got me up to speed in just a matter of a couple of days. Spline modeling is probably closer to nurb modeling than anything else but there are a few rules to follow that take getting used to.

For rigging from scratch the tutorials Holmeslice posted are fantastic, I wish he made a book ;) or if your using the 32 bit version you can use the TSM2 rigging system.