sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

project guidelines

Ilidrake

I've been working on a little 2 minute film now for a year. Off and on of course. The thing that has really mired me down is lack of planning on my part. I know what I want to do and need to do and I think scheduling these tasks would help me a great deal. I have of course attempted to write up a schedule in spreadsheet format but with little luck. Does anyone know of a ready made template for excel or word that would help streamline this process so that I can concentrate on the tasks that need to be completed and not just worry about the format of the schedule. or am i over thinking this?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Planning is a great help, no matter how small the project.

First write a script. It doesn't matter how short or simple a project is, write a script. It should be written such that someone else can read it and know exactly what is happening.

Then go through the script and divide it up into shots or scenes.

At this point, some people would advise you to make thumbnail sketches of all the key storytelling frames. Kind of like you would do if you were making a comic book. Write down what action is happening under each sketch.

Then get all your dialog and sound effects recorded.

Then, some people would make an animatic. Make each sketch a separate image file and bring them all into an application that will allow you to make a slide show. Each sketch will be a different slide. Time the slides to match the action in the script. Add your dialog and sound effects to the slide show. Someone else should be able to watch the slide show and know exactly what is happening and what the story is.

Then go through the script again and make a list of all the models you need to build.

Then go through the script again and make a list of all the places where you can use repeatable actions.

Then, if you can draw, make sketches of all the models in your model list.

Then go through the model list and build them one by one.

Then rig all the ones that need to be rigged.

Then texture all the models.

Then animate all the reusable actions in your Actions list.

Then start animating your shots or scenes.

Then do the lighting.

Then do any special effects you need to do.

Then render.

• Admin

Holmes has done this extensively so he's got it down. Follow his lead.

I'll add a few things that are mostly theoretical but based on known practices.

Because his is golden... I'll mix my thoughts in where Holmes has placed his:

Write a Script (If you struggle with this use 3x5 cards or scraps of paper to write down and sort out your ideas)

Divide the script up into shots or scenes (Move scenes around. Get rid of characters/shots that don't fit. Insert missing core storytelling bits)

Limit dialogue to only what is necessary for the characters

- Make sure dialogue does not state the obvious or repeat the activity the character is performing without a very good reason. (I'm going to open the door now! I'm at the door now. Are you watching me? There I opened it. Did you see me?) Cut all but what is needed to effectively tell the story.

- Use dialogue to layer in additional meaning or reveal or betray personality/subtlety/inner thoughts of the character. (i.e. a character may say one thing but do something different entirely)

Make thumbnail sketches of key storytelling frames (Draw roughly on the back of your 3x5 cards or on a copy of the script. If possible get rid of the script by transforming it into images. Here is where you begin to 'see' your film visually through serialization of storyboarded imagery... stick figures if necessary.)

Write down what action is happening under each sketch. (Anticipation, Action and Reaction are the three elements of change you must deal with)

Record all your dialog and sound effects. (Make sure you get some energy/inflection into these voices or you will have little vocal quality to animate against)

Create an animatic with what you have at this point (Now you've got a template... a timed mockup of your final film reel)

--Make each sketch a separate image file and bring them all into an application that will allow you to make a slide show

--Each sketch will be a different slide

--Time the slides to match the action in the script

--Add your dialog and sound effects to the slide show.

--Have someone else watch the slide show. (Avoid family and close friends as they may tell you what they think you want to hear)

--Does this audience know exactly what is happening and what the story is?

Go through the script or storyboard again. (Strive for clarity. If you are asking "Will they understand this?" they won't, so work on those areas again. Hit them with a sledgehammer if necessary.

Create at least two color scripts based on your animatics (Note: This is easy to do in A:M)

-- The first color script is Grayscale (Using a range starting from mid gray going to either White or Black -

-- Sync this Color script to your Script/Storyboard/Animatic (This'll add consistency to the mood/environment/lighting throughout your film)

-- The second color script is Color (Calm story arcs tend toward cool colors like blues and blacks while intense story arcs tend more toward reds and whites)

-- Consider a color script for every major character (when these characters meet it will generate interesting mixes of color and further expand your color pallet)

-- Color has an equivalent musical pitch so consider sharing this color key with anyone who is creating music for your film.

(Note: If you've done this color scripting you may find you don't need to do everything that comes after this. For instance, if located in a dark background you may not need to texture some things)

Go through the script/storyboard again and list the models to build.

Go through the script again and list all the places you can use repeatable actions.

If you can draw, make sketches of all the models in your model list.

Go through the model list and build them one by one.

Rig all the models that need to be rigged.

Texture all the models.

Animate all the reusable actions in your Actions list.

Start animating your shots or scenes.

Light your sequences (Use your color script!)

Create any special effects

Render your film

Apologies to Holmes if I broke anything of his!

Create at least two color scripts based on your animatics (Note: This is easy to do in A:M)

-- The first color script is Grayscale (Using a range starting from mid gray going to either White or Black -

-- Sync this Color script to your Script/Storyboard/Animatic (This'll add consistency to the mood/environment/lighting throughout your film)

-- The second color script is Color (Calm story arcs tend toward cool colors like blues and blacks while intense story arcs tend more toward reds and whites)

-- Consider a color script for every major character (when these characters meet it will generate interesting mixes of color and further expand your color pallet)

-- Color has an equivalent musical pitch so consider sharing this color key with anyone who is creating music for your film.

(Note: If you've done this color scripting you may find you don't need to do everything that comes after this. For instance, if located in a dark background you may not need to texture some things)

That's a good addition Bruce! I've read about this sort of thing, but have never actually done it. You said a color script can be done easily in A:M. Do you just make some cubes and spheres and add Surface colors to them to represent the palette for a particular scene? What are the mechanics for making a color script?

I have of course attempted to write up a schedule in spreadsheet format but with little luck. Does anyone know of a ready made template for excel or word that would help streamline this process so that I can concentrate on the tasks that need to be completed and not just worry about the format of the schedule. or am i over thinking this?

Here is the spreadsheet I am using for my current project and the one for my last project. (They are in OpenOffice format.) It features:

-time entry page

-task summary page. The "Time remaining" field has to be decremented manually whenever a time entry is made on the other sheet

-person summary page

-graph of when time was spent

I'm keeping track of times that I work so I will have that information for the next project. I haven't done serious estimates for times yet, since I am not far enough through the planning to have a good idea of what the specific tasks will be. One trick with this spreadsheet is that the way I've done it, every task's text has to be unique, and the text for each task on the time page has to match the text on the summary page exactly.

P.S. Jason, .odt and .ods would be nice filetypes to be able to upload into the forum

EPBTasks.zip

HitAndRun_TaskList.zip