sprockets Will Sutton's TAR knocks some heads! Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

FW -190 exercise, help in drawing/understandin the tires

north

on the exercise fw-190 fighter jet, watching the video and i am trying to understand on how he calculates and draws/traces the tires, he is using advance manipulator to manipulate the pivot then he starts position it and that it has to be in the y-axis.

im trying to understand but it is hard, also since the problems with these videos is that the sound and video are way out of sync. with each other.

he starts doing this in the second part of the lecture around the 11 minute mark to finishing around 15 minute mark.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

I haven't watched that vid but here's the simpler way i'd do it.

you know how to lathe a circle by lathing out a cone and deleting all but the bottom ring? you get a circle that's flat on the horizontal.

Make a circle that way, then rotate the circle 90° so it's vertical

then scale it so it's about as wide as the width of the tire tube in the image. Not as big as the whole wheel, just as wide as that rubber tube cross section would be.

Next, move it so it's as far from the vertical axis as the inner edge of the tire is from the axle of the wheel in the picture.

pick one CP, hit lathe and you get a torus for your tire.

rotate and move it into place.

Does that help?

i will try that, when you say Lathe? what do you mean exactly? i probably been using it but dont know the terms well yet, lol.

lathe you mean probably hitting the arrow with the "+" sign next to it and creating control points?

also, where did you learn this method?

• Hash Fellow

And the whole stem!

Lathing is is one of the most used tools. Part of A:M modeling is seeing something like that tire and saying "ah, a lathed shape. Easy!"

To get a circle you can lathe any spline, delete everything but one spline ring, and that spline ring that's left... a circle!

okay, never mind. i figure it out. i tried the video again one more time. and found out that he just made too many errors and started over on creating the circle for the second half of it portion....sigh, if only i figure that out sooner.