sprockets Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

a minor adjustement needed

dblhelix

no point in starting a WIP just yet, i'll just keep spamming the newbieland;

i've just played with the toggling of perspective/non-perspective views (using the keys involved) and seem to have blown thom's hip null out of view. first i didn't even notice it, then it was easy to ignore and now it's all i think about.

everything is fully functional, the n and r tools appear with normal sized visual tools, but the null star is like four times the height of thom (but centered where it should). it's possible this could have happened while testing the mouse earlier; shift-dragging w middle button down. i might accidentally have nudged a wrong button and given a shortkey-command. anybody know what's going on?

i've only been in chor window and bones mode all day.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What values does it have under Transform>Scale?

try setting them to 100% if they are not.

there are two properties windows already open, one of them has a headline that says Properties, the other has a pin on the upper left corner and no headline. both say scale values are a uniform 100%.

• Hash Fellow
What values does it have under Transform>Scale?

try setting them to 100% if they are not.

there are two properties windows already open, one of them has a headline that says Properties, the other has a pin on the upper left corner and no headline. both say scale values are a uniform 100%.

Can you show me a screen cap of the whole A:M window with that stuff showing? Make sure the null is selected.

• Hash Fellow

that's not actually the whole A:M window but it will do...

The bottom pane is the "Timeline" window (alt-2). It shows keyframes and channels for whatever is selected or whatever you have pinned. It will show properties too if you have "show properties triangle" enabled in your Options and have pressed that triangle.

The red-green-blue lines icon you have pressed now and the six dots icon next to it (lower left corner of the Timeline's right pane) choose between the keyframe view and the channel view.

The top left pane is the PWS. It's like the Timeline but it shows a line for everything in your PRJ even if they are unselected. I like to detach the PWS and spread it out on my second monitor. The bigger your PWS is the more you can take in about what's going on.

That null doesn't look wildly enlarged. You can load another Thom to compare sizes. It looks ok to me.

If it's distracting you can switch back to Director mode (F9) while you watch your animation play and go back to Skeleton mode (F8) to animate. I do that frequently. Those modes have buttons at the top as well.

It will show properties too if you have "show properties triangle" enabled in your Options and have pressed that triangle.

a-ha! now i can safely get rid of it and know where to find it when and if.

That null doesn't look wildly enlarged. You can load another Thom to compare sizes. It looks ok to me.

my thoms come with hip nulls slightly smaller than their feet nulls.

hmm.

and yellow. bus thom is not yellow but grey. it's probably the render mode.

• Hash Fellow

If you actually saved a new Thom it's possible you unknowingly scaled the null in the model while you were doing other modification.

Looking at both Thoms in side by side model windows would show pretty quickly if the hip nulls are the same size or not.

If it causes no other problem I'd not worry about it.

However, if you scale a null or bone it usually scales all its children which is usually not desired since they will no longer be where the modeler intended them to be and the rig will no longer work as it was intended.

thank you! :)

what a fun day this has been.

the null is acting in character and just looking weird so i'll press on. there are no changes in this thom, but there might be so i saved a project-thom in the beginning just in case - he can be replaced with a yellow thom with slim hips.

The yellow box around the null seems ok, but the red, green and blue axis lines of the null look extra large. I'm assuming you are using v15 and the newest version v15j+?

yes i have the latest version. the "n" tool looks normal enough, but the "r" tool grew during this thread and now covers entire thom. there's a roll handle protruding from the square "n" tool, pointing straight up the y and looking quite remarkable.

A-Ha!

I have seen these spurious "position" keys before but don't know the cause.

yay thanks!

two things come to mind;

i force-key the whole model on the first frame the first thing i do whenever i start a project. should i stop?

second,

this Magnificence Nullified appeared on the third or fourth session and day working on this project.. can't stop thinking about the shift+middle mouse button drag since it often happens i press wrong keys on keyboard. (here's a reason for the lack of capitol letters in these posts. takes for-freaking-ever to get them right) if anyone knows that there's a shortcut for scaling a null i'm very interested.

having a hip a null slightly larger than the body is helpful, all the time actually. much smaller than the one i've got, but larger than the default.

• Hash Fellow
two things come to mind;

i force-key the whole model on the first frame the first thing i do whenever i start a project. should i stop?

Have you watched my videos on Keyframing options? In my signature. I just pick out the few bones I'm going to animate and force a key on those.

can't stop thinking about the shift+middle mouse button drag

A-HA! I see what's gone wrong. That is for re-aiming the camera while you are looking thru it. Your mouse direction is leading the camera which makes the view look like it's going in the opposite direction.

I never do that.

If you just want to navigate around the 3D space use the T to turn and M to move an don't' hold anything other key down.

Holding the mouse middle-button down is the same as M