sprockets Will Sutton's TAR knocks some heads! Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

take a walk exercise

north

say, i finish the "take a walk" exercise and it completed great but when i make the model move with the action walk i created, the rabbit walks sooooooo fast.

and in the video he walks slowly. now animation did crash but not before saving the project and action walk.

i dont know if that has something to do with it or is it the Hast Stride Length.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

How long is the animation?

There needs to be enough time in the animation for the character to cover the path at a reasonable speed.

Show us a wire frame that shows the path in the scene.

How long is the animation?

There needs to be enough time in the animation for the character to cover the path at a reasonable speed.

Show us a wire frame that shows the path in the scene.

it is the size that the guy suggested in the exercise, 5 seconds for the cycle length. i attached/uploaded a pic of the path in Camera View on this post. i will try to increase the cycle length but i just dont how to get that option back as well. when i go to the properties of it, i just dont get the option to change it.

post-13126-1279191017_thumb.jpg

• Hash Fellow

The cycle length is 5 seconds? do you really mean the animation is 5 seconds?

The TAoA:M exercise doesn't direct you to make the walk cycle 5 seconds long. That would be impossibly long for a character to take two steps.

But it isn't the length of the walk cycle that needs to change here. It's the length of the choreography animation that needs to be longer so each cycle of the walk has more time. That's a very long path. The character will need to cycle very quickly to cover it all in 5 seconds

Open up your Project Workspace Window (ALT 1)

Stretch the blue bar of your Choreography out to a longer time and the character will take longer to walk the path.

OR...

Scroll down to the Chor, then down to the character. Expand that until you see the path constraint and select the path constraint .

Then go to the properties window and see the property called "ease"

Set your time counter to 0:00 and set ease to 0%

Then set the time counter to some large number like 15 seconds and then set ease to 100%. Ease controls how far along the path a character is and you want him to go from 0% to 100% in some time longer than 5 seconds.

the exercise told me to put just 5 seconds on the "Cycle Length", in the video, it tells me around 14:50 minute mark.

i did what you said with blue bar in the Project Workspace window. i expand it and when i saved it, the rabbit model didnt walk the full path that i gave him. it is same when i change the "length" field in the Choreography properties window. the model just walks just as fast but this time he doesnt walk the full path and still goes fast.

i couldnt find the "Chor" that you were talking about. what is the "Chor" that you are telling me about? where is it exactly?

okay, i figured it out. i needed to go back to the cycle length, i dragged and drop the "Action" that was created to the rabbit model in the choreography and i got the "Cycle Lenght" option again. i was able to change it to 10 seconds instead of 5 and he walked much slower or human speed.

strange sometimes, when doing the drag and drop of the "Action" for that, i created a new "Shortcut to Rabbitwalk" in the Project Workspace under "Action".

anyway it is working at that speed.

• Hash Fellow

Sorry, I was doing it all from memory.

Choreography = Chor

You're right , there is a property called "cycle length" that governs how long the action works in the chor. I was thinking of the actual length of teh action when it was created in the action window. The motion of a walk is about 1 second.

I find that the action sets it's "Cycle length" to whatever the blue bar length is when you drop the action on the character.

If I adjust the blue bar before I drop the action on the character, the action sets its "cycle length" to the length of the blue bar

However, if I adjust the blue bar to be longer after I have dropped the action on the character, the duration of the action in the chor doesn't automatically adjust itself to fit the new time. You can however, set the "cycle length" to whatever that new time is and the action will fill out the new length of time.

I prefer to use "ease" in these situations so I can set the duration of the action exactly myself rather than rely on the automatic mechanism of A:M.

then that would explain why increasing the blue bar then didnt work since i was going by the video, the video does not open the Project Workspace window and does not mention anything about the blue bar. you actually manipulate the cycle length before the dropping the "Action" to the model.

in fact, i didnt knew the blue bar could do such a thing until you told me. the videos are great but they are kind of old and i think needs to be updated to some degree and also point out such details like you just mention about the blue bar.