Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Jumping on Matress Anyone?

ChuckGram

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

Interesting problem! I would have said you'd have to manually animate the shape of the mattress but I did a test on some cloth parameters a while back...

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=331059

If you look at the result in the lower right corner that has a bit of the spring-back-into-shape quality of a mattress. Try making a simple rounded box shape for the mattress, set those parameters, you may need to experiment with the "stiffness" too.

Put a cloth "deflector" material on the feet of the character.

Expect this to not work perfectly the first time you try it.

YOu might make the mattress like this, but with about twice the spline density.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...ost&p=53091

• Hash Fellow

Here's a test of the cloth idea. It's not quite the deformation I'd expect from a mattress.

matressJump_mp4.mov

PRJ. Note the settings on the cloth. High stiffness.

matress04simmed.zip

Cloth sims need to start out NOT in contact with any deflectors, so the mattress starts out above the ground and Thom is lowered into place after the start so he doesn't start with his feet on the cloth mattress.

If you need something more characteristic of a stuffed mattress rigging it or animating the shape may be the way to go.

• Hash Fellow

I should also note that after the cloth was simmed in that test I moved Thom down a bit overall to close the gap between his feet and the mattress that "Collision Tolerance" creates between any cloth and deflector.

It might be possible to set that to 0. I've never tried.

I should also note that after the cloth was simmed in that test I moved Thom down a bit overall to close the gap between his feet and the mattress that "Collision Tolerance" creates between any cloth and deflector.

It might be possible to set that to 0. I've never tried.

0 makes it all go haywire.

Your trick with moving the character after the sim is brilliant and effective. I'll be using it later =)