Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

siren lights...

new guy

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone have or know where i could get a siren that rotates with lights? the kind that sits on top of police cars, ambulances, fire trucks etc? something that looks like this.

Are you using it as "toon" render or 3D? I ask because with toon, you can just model a dome and animate the red/blue alternating lights - not a lot of detail... for 3D, same thing unless you want up close detail... the viewer won't see the rotation inside the light, just the resulting light...

Rob

does anyone have or know where i could get a siren that rotates with lights? the kind that sits on top of police cars, ambulances, fire trucks etc? something that looks like this.

Are you using it as "toon" render or 3D? I ask because with toon, you can just model a dome and animate the red/blue alternating lights - not a lot of detail... for 3D, same thing unless you want up close detail... the viewer won't see the rotation inside the light, just the resulting light...

Rob

hey rob! it will be 3d. don't need it to be a close up, just rotating lights. just can't figure out the easiest (least amount of rendering time) way to do it. hmmm??? ideas anyone?

hey rob! it will be 3d. don't need it to be a close up, just rotating lights. just can't figure out the easiest (least amount of rendering time) way to do it. hmmm??? ideas anyone?

If it is not a close-up....

I think the easiest way is to make a new Action with your model.

In the Action, import a Klieg light as an Action Object and place it where it needs to go.

On frame 0 of the Action, set the color, intensity, cone angle etc... of the light.

Also set the Y Rotation of the light to 0.

In the light's Properties Panel, drill down to Object's Properties > Transform > Rotate, and right-click on the word "Rotate".

In the context menu that pops up, choose "Convert Driver to > Euler".

Now on frame 12 (for example), set the light's Y rotation to 360.

Save the Action.

Drop it onto your model in a Choreography.

Set the number of times you want to action to repeat in the Choreography.

That's it!

And I would add - make your klieg lights have volumetric effect =ON

Similarly to what Holmes suggested, here's a project where the model contains both red and blue volumetric klieg lights, and the action rotates the model (so no action objects required)

You can also model the housing - but not sure you will need it

rotate.prj

policelightnoblursmall2pass.mov

If it is not a close-up....

I think the easiest way is to make a new Action with your model.

In the Action, import a Klieg light as an Action Object and place it where it needs to go.

On frame 0 of the Action, set the color, intensity, cone angle etc... of the light.

Also set the Y Rotation of the light to 0.

In the light's Properties Panel, drill down to Object's Properties > Transform > Rotate, and right-click on the word "Rotate".

In the context menu that pops up, choose "Convert Driver to > Euler".

Now on frame 12 (for example), set the light's Y rotation to 360.

Save the Action.

Drop it onto your model in a Choreography.

Set the number of times you want to action to repeat in the Choreography.

That's it!

now those are some major details! THANKS!

And I would add - make your klieg lights have volumetric effect =ON

Similarly to what Holmes suggested, here's a project where the model contains both red and blue volumetric klieg lights, and the action rotates the model (so no action objects required)

You can also model the housing - but not sure you will need it

THANK YOU! coolest chick i have ever met!