Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Difference between Frame Animation Vs SMTP - Please Explain . . .

a.quaihoi

Hi I was just wondering the difference between Frames animation and time based - for instance what is the relationship between the two or how do I do timing, say for instance if I create a animation which is :

• animated over 30 frames

• with keyframes at every 10 frames

How will this be translated to time code ?

Meaning if the time code is 30fps then the sequence would yield only 1 second of animation in SMTP

So how do we convert or animate with frames keeping in time with actual errr. . . real time ?

What do we have to keep in mind for actual time / timing when animating with frames then outputting to SMTP ?

Say I wanted the frame animations to span over actual 24 fps SMTP, would I take this figure of 24 fps an keep it in mind and then animate as usual in frames and set key frames per 24 frames and in between keyframes as well for other motion, knowing that for every 24 frames of animation I am creating 1 second of actual animation in SMTP ?

Just getting my head around the conventions, everyone says use frames when animating - but no one says how it relates to video output . . . .

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi I was just wondering the difference between Frames animation and time based - for instance what is the relationship between the two or how do I do timing, say for instance if I create a animation which is :

• animated over 30 frames

• with keyframes at every 10 frames

How will this be translated to time code ?

Meaning if the time code is 30fps then the sequence would yield only 1 second of animation in SMTP

So how do we convert or animate with frames keeping in time with actual errr. . . real time ?

What do we have to keep in mind for actual time / timing when animating with frames then outputting to SMTP ?

Say I wanted the frame animations to span over actual 24 fps SMTP, would I take this figure of 24 fps an keep it in mind and then animate as usual in frames and set key frames per 24 frames and in between keyframes as well for other motion, knowing that for every 24 frames of animation I am creating 1 second of actual animation in SMTP ?

Just getting my head around the conventions, everyone says use frames when animating - but no one says how it relates to video output . . . .

SMTP time code is HH:MM:SS;FF

Where:

HH = hours

MM= minutes

SS = seconds

FF = frames

The conversion is straight across:

frames = SMTP frames

30 frames is 29 = 00:00:01;00

(remember, counting starts at zero so, 0 through 29 is 30 frames)

or, put another way

a half second at 30 fps is:

frames = SMTP frames

14 = 00:00:00:14

a half second at 24 fps is:

frames = SMTP frames

11 = 00:00:00:11

A key frame every 10 frames is still a key frame every 10 frames regardless.

I hope that answers your question.

BTW, I usually render tga sequences from AM then I master (compress) in Cleaner.

In Cleaner, the recommended key frame interval for Quicktime Sorrenson (n) is every 5 times fps

(i.e. 30 fps -- kf every 150) -- I don't recall for other codec. Also, if you leave it unselected then

the codec decides the interval.

I'd guess that it's the same in AM but am not certain.

Codec settings is a complex topic and varies with content. AM's default is usually good to go with.

Cheers,

Rusty

SMTP is only another way to show the same. The difference is, that Frames are not connected to a certain specific "time".

You can specify if 50 frames or 1 frame will be a second.

SMTP will translate the frames based on the setting in "Frames Per Seconds" (can be found in the options-menu) into a human-readable form.

Something like 30 frames = 1 second or 50 frames = 1 second (for HD-content).

So there is no linear connection between frames and seconds, it is a defintion you can make by yourself or which is defined by the outputmedia you want to screen it at.

In the US you whould have to specify for example 29.97 frames as a second, for PAL-countries (most European and some other countries) it is 25 fps, cinema had 24 fps, and so on.

The new HD-standards are a bit less complicated. There it is (most often) 50fps. (even so this can differ too).

In the end: Know what you need and insert the right FPS in the Optionmenu of A:M and than use SMTP.

For internetuse for example it is not necessary to use 30fps or even 50fps... 25 is a common standard here. Flashcontent is often even created with only 12fps, so I dont recommend that for 3d-animations.

*Fuchur*

SMTP is only another way to show the same. The difference is, that Frames are not connected to a certain specific "time".

You can specify if 50 frames or 1 frame will be a second.

SMTP will translate the frames based on the setting in "Frames Per Seconds" (can be found in the options-menu) into a human-readable form.

Something like 30 frames = 1 second or 50 frames = 1 second (for HD-content).

So there is no linear connection between frames and seconds, it is a defintion you can make by yourself or which is defined by the outputmedia you want to screen it at.

In the US you whould have to specify for example 29.97 frames as a second, for PAL-countries (most European and some other countries) it is 25 fps, cinema had 24 fps, and so on.

The new HD-standards are a bit less complicated. There it is (most often) 50fps. (even so this can differ too).

In the end: Know what you need and insert the right FPS in the Optionmenu of A:M and than use SMTP.

For internetuse for example it is not necessary to use 30fps or even 50fps... 25 is a common standard here. Flashcontent is often even created with only 12fps, so I dont recommend that for 3d-animations.

*Fuchur*

Thanks Rusty & Fuchur ! That's exactly the definition and explanation I was after. Now I know that there is no linear connection with animating in frames / SMTP - this was my confusion and now I can animate using frames and set the transcoding / translating of animation as time from frames in the options menu.

Interesting use of tga sequence in Cleaner, hmm, I was talking to the guys at momentum and they told me that Final Cut Pro doesn't allow tga sequence ??? - I'll start another thread on this topic so this doesn't continue here. Thank you very much for your help !