sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Hair Question

TNT

I am trying to make the eye lashes on my model.

I have selected the narrow row of patches that make the edge of her lids.

The problem (if you look closely) is that there is one row of hairs on each lid.

On the right upper lid the hairs grow from the front edge of the patches.

The hairs on the other three lids all grow from the inner edge of the patches.

Is there a way to get them to all grow from teh front edge?

Thanks is advance,

post-10558-1261582582_thumb.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I want to control hair growth from a particular patch, I create another patch and place it just beneath the original patch, so it's invisible, or just above, if I want color, and then have that be the hair emitter. This separate hair patch can be any color, any shape, any orientation, and I can change it at will without changing the eyelid geometry, so I have complete control. It can be assigned to the same bone as the eyelid patch next to it, so it will move properly when the eyelid moves.

Sounds like you need to flip the normals on the patch that has the hair growing inward. Hair grows in the direction of the normals. Point normals out and the hair grows out. To see the normals, hold "shift" and hit the "1" KEY. To flip normals, select the patch that needs flipping and hit the "f" key.

Cool model! Personally... I would not use a hair emitter for the eyelashes- too small and hard to control. I would model them with very low splineage. Leave the hair for other/bigger places like you have on the head.

Hi!

Do you mean you would create each lash as a mesh?

Low splines like (3) four point circles for each end and the middle?

Sounds like you need to flip the normals on the patch that has the hair growing inward. Hair grows in the direction of the normals. Point normals out and the hair grows out. To see the normals, hold "shift" and hit the "1" KEY. To flip normals, select the patch that needs flipping and hit the "f" key.

Thanks for the reply.

It's not the normals, they are all correct.

The hairs are growing our the correct side of the patch but are all lined up along one edge (spline).

Three chose the inner edge and one chose the outer.

I played with some of the randomizing settings and the density in the emitter and that helped some.

Cool model! Personally... I would not use a hair emitter for the eyelashes- too small and hard to control. I would model them with very low splineage. Leave the hair for other/bigger places like you have on the head.

Hi!

Yuuuup! Copy Paste Copy Paste. Then use the distortion tool to 'shape' it to the eye...copy paste/flip for the other eye... then attach all that to the eyelid bone. This way you can get EXACTLY what you had in mind.

HEY TIM- Could I get your email address, gotta nuther private 'Q' re FM... (matt@campbellanimation.com)

Hi!

Yuuuup! Copy Paste Copy Paste. Then use the distortion tool to 'shape' it to the eye...copy paste/flip for the other eye... then attach all that to the eyelid bone. This way you can get EXACTLY what you had in mind.

HEY TIM- Could I get your email address, gotta nuther private 'Q' re FM... (matt@campbellanimation.com)

thanks