Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Low res real time textures...

Meowx

As I'm starting to add texture, I'm finding it very difficult to preview stuff in real time because the textures are just ridiculously low-res. The texture itself is pretty big, the upper body texture in the screenshots is about 2000x1000.

It's kinda hard to even apply a decal, it shows up in low res there too (3rd pic). Is it just because the texture is too big?

Also, "Clear Cache" doesn't seem to do anything. If I edit a texture, I have to reload the project to get it to update.

I'm on a Mac, dunno if these are Mac problems or A:M problems.

Animation_MasterScreenSnapz006.jpg

Animation_MasterScreenSnapz007.jpg

Animation_MasterScreenSnapz008.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

If you dont' want the decal you can turn off "Show decals" but There isn't a hi-res real-time option.

I'm amazed it works at all.

A shift-Q>RMB>drag-a-bounding-box render is semi-real time and very handy in texture testing situations.

I'm not sure how you RMB on a mac.

On the PC (don't know about mac) - you can ctrl + D to turn textures ON/OFF in real time view

However if you want to preview the textures in "real time", try the render lock mode (green button) or render mode (left most blue button).

Render lock with give you an onscreen progressive render (semi accurate - but quicker), whereas render mode will render on screen according to the render options you have currently set via the tools/options/rendering panel. It is a more accurate render

edit: I shoulda known - Rob beat me to it.

The image folder in the PWS has a preview resolution option. It defaults to 640x480. Raise this resolution and your decals should have more detail in real-time.

EDIT: I've just tested this and for some reason it does not work for me now. I have done this before and it used to work so maybe I'm forgetting something.

Hmm, ok, thanks. Sorry I wasn't very clear on that - I'm looking for a way to view the textures in high res, not turn them off altogether. And ja, the progressive render works fine on Mac too.

I was wondering because I had never run into this before - when applying and viewing decals in real time, they had always appeared at full resolution. I've never really used decals this large before, however. Thought maybe it just didn't like the really big ones.

Is "clear cache" not working just me, then? Maybe a Mac thing.

Edit: tried the resolution thing, also didn't change for me. I DID find a bit of a workaround, but it's not really practical.

1) Close all windows.

2) Close the project.

3) Open the project.

4) In the PWS, dig into the model until you get to the decal and then double click the decal's STAMP. The stamp will open up in a window at full resolution.

5) Now you can go into any window you want and the decal will display at full resolution in real time. Doing certain things, however, seem to make it drop back down to low res. (Doing a Q or shift-Q render, for example.)

The nice thing about viewing it full res in real time is that I can go into the stamp and adjust patches so there's no stretching in the decal:

AnimationMasterScreenSnapz001.mov