Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Transparent decal?

Ullis

I am working on a project of molecules and the figure is supposed to have a C in his forhead. I have made a decal with an alpha channel in photoshop and it looks fine with the progressive render but in final a lot of non desired spots comes up. What have I missed? Happy for any suggestions,

post-2204-1246040233_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

first, try reapplying it. delete it entirely, save, reload then apply it again.

It also looks like you've got a halo on that decal.

In the tuts link in my sig there's a tut on making decals without halos.

Thanks for looking into my problem, but I have reloaded and reapplied so many times with more or less worse result. I feel so stupid by now....I know it can be done but somehow I fail...

Robert it is your tutorial that I have followed, you make excellent tutorials. I skipped the last part about the flaming pear download though, I felt uncertain about what to download and what was free and if I had to make any committments, purchases etc. But I don´t like the halo either -could that be the vital part of all the specks?

Happy you like my Molecule Man :-)

• Hash Fellow
Thanks for looking into my problem, but I have reloaded and reapplied so many times with more or less worse result. I feel so stupid by now....I know it can be done but somehow I fail...

ok... could you post a wireframe of that view?

Robert it is your tutorial that I have followed, you make excellent tutorials. I skipped the last part about the flaming pear download though, I felt uncertain about what to download and what was free and if I had to make any committments, purchases etc. But I don´t like the halo either -could that be the vital part of all the specks?

http://www.flamingpear.com/download.html

download "Free Plugins"

you need that "solidify" plugin . A B or C, any will do.

I am working on a project of molecules and the figure is supposed to have a C in his forhead. I have made a decal with an alpha channel in photoshop and it looks fine with the progressive render but in final a lot of non desired spots comes up. What have I missed? Happy for any suggestions,

Ullis - are you using vers 15e or 15f?

If 15e - the streaks might be occurring because of the known problem that occurs when a patch is not covered entirely by a decal.

A workaround would be to decal the patch(es) with FIRST a background color image (blue), and then apply the "C" decal (or add image to the decal container) with the alpha channel - the streaks will probably go away. If you don't decal the background color first then streaks can sometimes appear. I believe this has been fixed in 15f - but I can't check because there is no 15f for the CD. I am also assuming the transparent area of your image with the alpha channel is 100% transparent and doesn't have residual "flecks".

The halo area is a different problem. In this case - it can probably be taken care of if you create your "C" alpha image in photoshop with a background layer that is the same color as the "C" (black?)

• 1 month later...

Nancy thanks so much. I was going crazy with my decals since I have 15E and couldn't figure the issue. Found this thread and your suggestion for decal over decal is great and appears to be working.

Thanks.