Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

U.S.S. Enterprise - TOS

Hey folks. As a way to help re-learn A:M, I decided to model the U.S.S. Enterprise from the original Star Trek series. There are so many things that I forgot how to do over the past few months, that there is a lot of trial and error going on here. Slowly coming back though... :D

Al

This one of the sheets of blueprints that I am working from.

post-12652-1237741533_thumb.jpg

And here is the modelling so far.

post-12652-1237741469_thumb.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good start. All my attempts have been crapola.

Nick Porcino has a version available, along with documentation and research information when he built his model.

It's available here: http://www.geocities.com/n_porcino/

(go to Gallery, then USS Enterprise - some of the older links appear to go nowhere so navigation can be confusing)

His version includes a separate bridge set, and if you examine the ship model it looks like he did some preliminary work for a hangar deck but never completely detailed it out.

Thanks for the great info GizmoMkI and Largento.

All my attempts have been crapola.

A lot of the model has been mostly lathing splines. If I hadn't found out about using the 4, 5 and 6 keys while sliding CPs along splines, I don't think I would have been able to successfully model the back of the secondary hull and nacelle ends. The trickiest part was selecting the CP so that it would slide along the spline in the direction I wanted it to. There was a post on the forum here that explains what the different keys were for. I saw something by Rusty about it. Mark, didn't you do one of your comic book tutorials on it? Looked for it, but couldn't find it.

BTW Mark, I bought Comic Book Creator 2.0, mainly because of your comic book tutorials. Played around with it a bit, but when I created a PDF, it has a 'created with comic book creator' message on the bottom of each page. I didn't notice that on yours. Is there some setting to remove the message, or did you have to manually remove it later from the PDF?

Update: Have most of the main shapes modelled. Still have a lot of detailing to do on the model, like inter-coolers, impulse engines, lots of windows (these may have to be textured instead of modelled).

Al

post-12652-1237862242_thumb.jpg post-12652-1237863211_thumb.jpg

BTW Mark, I bought Comic Book Creator 2.0, mainly because of your comic book tutorials. Played around with it a bit, but when I created a PDF, it has a 'created with comic book creator' message on the bottom of each page. I didn't notice that on yours. Is there some setting to remove the message, or did you have to manually remove it later from the PDF?

Al, the application I used is called "Comic Life." There is a windows version.

The Enterprise is looking great! You're modeling it really quickly!

Thanks Spleen.

Al, the application I used is called "Comic Life." There is a windows version.

D'oh!! I have downloaded the windows demo and will play around with that and compare it to Comic Book Creator 2. If I like Comic Life better, I will eBay the Comic Book Creator software.

The Enterprise is looking great! You're modeling it really quickly!

Thanks Mark. I just finished doing the Enterprise in a polygon modelling package just before coming back to A:M, so it is still fresh in my head.

Al

Quick update: Finished most of the major modelling on the Enterprise (although I just noticed I still have the grid patterns on the inside of the nacelle supports to do).

Al

beauty_0.jpg beauty_1.jpg beauty_2.jpg

Al, looks great except those flat sections on the primary hull (on the fore near the sensor dish) aren't inset like you have them.

[EDIT] Nevermind. :-) I guess I never noticed that before...

Hey! That doesn't look like no chopper to me! - But what do I know?

Tis Very Enterprising, anyhow...

(I'm just full o' 3rd grade cornball this morning)

Hee hee hee hee..... very good Nancy.

Actually, the Chopper Al name came from the fact that last year, I had all my teeth replaced with brand new spanking crowns. It was a long and involved process taking over 7 years to determine what the problem was and figuring out how much longer the new teeth needed to be. In the end, my teeth were lengthened to open my mouth an extra 7.5mm (had very tiny teeth).

First time my wife saw me with my new teeth, she commented on the new 'choppers', and Chopper Al was born. Even though the scooter in my avatar is not a chopper, it is my main spring, summer, fall ride. I call it my "Hardly-A-Davidson'. :lol:

Al