trying a runn cycle

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

running is a bit complicated because there's a stretch where neither foot is on the ground and the character is moving forward thru the air. It's like a series of jumps from one foot to the next, to the next, to the next...

This will be difficult to get right in a typical CG cycle where the character runs "in place" while the ground slides underneath.

There is a run cycle animated for Thom on the CD that you could study for that.

My advice is to animate the character actually moving forward in space, running from one footstep to the next, for about 3 or four strides so you can discover the right timing and spacing. Put a little stone on the ground that the character is running past. Then you can shift the poses back to the starting line and make the ground move appropriately backwards based on how far the character had moved past the marker stone.

Richard Williams' TASK covers runs ans the important key poses on pg 176. Note that most of his drawings aren't registered so that the foot on the ground stays put, which exaggerates the forward motion of the body. But on pg. 180 he has some sets where the feet are registered and you can accurately gauge how much the character is moving forward from each drawing to the next.

Thank's Robert ,thats a nice idea with the stone ,Ilooked on the net for runn cycles but really only came up with cartoon stuff wich is I think is not what Im after .Is that a book by Richard Williams ,I think Ill have to get one