Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Translate To Constraint

eptigo

Im trying to use the Translate to constraint to pick up a pencil and draw with it

but whenever i try to use the constraint thing, it shifts before being constrained to the hand

how do i fix this?

----

should i be using a different method where there are 2 pencil objects, one visible and one invisible

and when the hand reaches to pick up pencil, the visibility flops from the stationary pencil to the one

attatched to the hand?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Im trying to use the Translate to constraint to pick up a pencil and draw with it

but whenever i try to use the constraint thing, it shifts before being constrained to the hand

how do i fix this?

----

should i be using a different method where there are 2 pencil objects, one visible and one invisible

and when the hand reaches to pick up pencil, the visibility flops from the stationary pencil to the one

attatched to the hand?

I've never seen a 'translate to' constraint do that. Is it possible that there is a key frame on the pencil somewhere that is pulling it? In any event, the curves editor should show you this movement and allow you to peak the curve so nothing moves. Maybe you set a key frame on the pencil at frame zero and also set a key frame one frame before the constraint goes active... and perhaps you also set a key frame on the constraint's enforcement (setting it at zero) one key frame before. Doing either might cause the pencil to move beforehand if these key frames are not peaked or set to 'zero slope' because the computer is still trying to translate between the two key frames even though both are in the same position. I hope that makes sense. You need to look at things in the curve editor to see this.

Hope this helps,

Rusty

• Hash Fellow

I'm confused because you say "whenever i try to use the constraint thing" and then you describe it "shifts before" you used the constraint as if that were the result of using the constraint, but it can't be if it happened before.

Describe more clearly what is happening.