Decaling...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Following the steps Nancy outlined, I applied a footprint bump to a patch in the Action window. then I advanced 10 frames, applied a second stamp, then 10 frames, etc...hoping to get sequential footsteps. But when I dropped the action on the patch in the Choreo., [and rendered a 00:01:15] all the footsteps appeared at once. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Repeated the same directly onto the patch in the Choreo. Same result.

You have to animate the percentage of the decalled image type. Each footprint needs to be in a different decal container, so you have the percentage property for each stamp. "Show more than drivers", in an action or chor, so you can access the decal folder of the model and find the image properties.

You have to animate the percentage of the decalled image type. Each footprint needs to be in a different decal container, so you have the percentage property for each stamp. "Show more than drivers", in an action or chor, so you can access the decal folder of the model and find the image properties.

This is new territory for me. I've got the footprint decal imported four times. I'm hoping that's what you mean by "Each footprint needs to be in a different decal container" So far, I've only applied the footprint bump once, and tried to change the opacity over ten frames, or so, but it's not responding.

FOOTPRINTS.zip

Here's the project with the decals applied (in the chor) and animated using a hold interpolation. You could use zero slope, with an extra key a few frames before, so it gradually appears. And here's the movie rendered from the project.

Thanks for the solution. Problem is, I haven't a clue as to how you got there. How did BUMP 1,2,3, & 4 get into a folder under GROUND PATCH in the Choreography? And again in an Actions folder? What, exactly, is a 'hold interpolation' and where do I choose it? I can set opacity when I apply the Bump to the Patch in the Choreo., but once the dialog box closes, I can't find it again. How is opacity changed? I hate to appear the dumb kid, but I'm completely confused.

When you apply a decal in an action or chor, it applies it permanently to the model. Applying in an action or chor allows you to deform the mesh before applying it. It doesn't mean you can animate the application of the decal.

Ok, next to the name of the model in the chor (PWS), there is a red X, click on the red X to show more than drivers. Now you will be able to locate the decals to animate. Once you animate the percentage of the decal, open the timeline and switch to channels mode. With the model selected in the chor you will see all the keyframes for the decals. Select all the channels for the decals and right click in the bounding box to set the interpolation method. I'm sure there are easier ways to do this, someone will chime in with the answer.

Image1.jpg

Well, I'm close, but I'm not breaking out the cigars yet. I finally got it sorted out. Spent hours trying to find the Opacity dialog box a second time, until I realized that's not what I needed to animate. It was the Bump Percentage itself. After that, it went pretty smooth. But while my Choreo. looks like yours [only with 3 steps instead of 4] I can't get the bumped steps to show when rendered. Or in a screen snapshot. If you can sort out this last detail, I'm home free. I think.

FOOTPRINTS.zip

I've looked at your zipped prj and there was a missing image file - however - even so I can see why you are confusing yourself. Your camera angle is strange, your ground patch model is oriented strangely and it appears that the footprint decal (footprint bump) did not get APPLYied to the ground patch model

What I suggest is start over to unconfuse yourself.

1) create a new ground patch model - and orient it horizontally in the xz plane centered at 0, 0, 0

In the ground patch model, from top view - do 3 times: decal/new/select footprint bump - scale the image, position the image, select apply. You should then have 3 decal containers and 3 footprints showing. The decals have been applied as color type for now. - later you can change it to bump type.

2) create new default chor. (delete default ground plane) -drag ground patch model into chor. You should see the 3 footprints

3) select ground patch model in the chor - click red thingy to show more drivers - expand the decal containers - you should have 3 - for now just change percentage to 0 - they should all be invisible

4) decide what frames you want them to appear - go to that frame and turn percentage to 100 for that decal container (set interpolation to hold)

5) when you have timing correct - then in the ground patch model - change the decal type to bump

I've looked at your zipped prj and there was a missing image file - however - even so I can see why you are confusing yourself. Your camera angle is strange, your ground patch model is oriented strangely and it appears that the footprint decal (footprint bump) did not get APPLYied to the ground patch model

What I suggest is start over to unconfuse yourself.

1) create a new ground patch model - and orient it horizontally in the xz plane centered at 0, 0, 0

In the ground patch model, from top view - do 3 times: decal/new/select footprint bump - scale the image, position the image, select apply. You should then have 3 decal containers and 3 footprints showing. The decals have been applied as color type for now. - later you can change it to bump type.

2) create new default chor. (delete default ground plane) -drag ground patch model into chor. You should see the 3 footprints

3) select ground patch model in the chor - click red thingy to show more drivers - expand the decal containers - you should have 3 - for now just change percentage to 0 - they should all be invisible

4) decide what frames you want them to appear - go to that frame and turn percentage to 100 for that decal container (set interpolation to hold)

5) when you have timing correct - then in the ground patch model - change the decal type to bump

Thanks Nancy. I'll take a fresh running start at it in the morning.