sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

A:M on EEE?

Bryce

I use to use A:M on my desktop a lot back when I first got it, then I started slacking off. Recently, I found Anim8or and started playing with that and decided I wanted to install A:M again. Problem is, my EEE doesn't have a CD-ROM. I'd like to know if there is a legitimate way of running A:M without the CD (aside from a volume license). If A:M and Anim8or shared any format, it'd be a non-issue, but I'd prefer to use A:M.

Like I said, its been a while since I used it. I have "Sorserez" version CD. (Old, I know.) My brother and I bought it at a computer show because the guy giving the demo showed how simple everything was. I don't remember exactly why I stopped using it...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The latest version works without a CD if you use the annual subscription.

I was wondering about that because I saw a few posts of people asking about transferring from one PC to another...

That leads me to another question: is there an upgrade option or would I have to buy a new copy at full price? I upgraded from Orangutan to Sorserez at a computer show for half price, but I something tells me it isn't likely with the web version...

Yeah but the subscription version is only $79! You just can't move it from one computer to another, and it expires after a year. Still a good deal.

But an internet connection is required and I won't always have access to that, especially at work (where I plan to do most of my modeling). It looks like I'm stuck with Anim8or. At least it and A:M both support 3DS files... I could model on my laptop then bring the file into A:M to do the animation. (I like A:M's animation system more than Anim8or's.) Its my own fault for using an UMPC and not having a USB CD-ROM...

I know there's a network dongle version which allows running without CDs or an internet connection, but I don't need 10 licenses. Can you order a dongle for one license?

You don't need an internet connection with the subscription. Just that first time when you buy it and put in the code. Don't try fiddling with your system clock either... like changing it back ;). That will cause problems with the web subscription.

-vern

Also AM does support 3DS files but not in the way you think. You can bring 3DS in to AM as a prop but you can't "animate" the polygons. You can animate this 3D "object" like rotation and translation but you can't deform the mesh like you can with Hash splines. You can import and convert 3DS to Hash splines but they probably won't be connected contiguously and splines and polygons are not interchangeable, the splines won't line up in the way that makes AM so good at organic modeling and smooth animation. There is no "back and forth" work flow from polygons to Hash splines. Most people use this work flow for games when the end result is polygons exported out of AM once to use in a game system or other application.

-vern

You don't need an internet connection with the subscription. Just that first time when you buy it and put in the code. Don't try fiddling with your system clock either... like changing it back ;). That will cause problems with the web subscription.

-vern

So it only activates online, eh? That makes it a little nicer. However, I am now torn. If I buy the subscription for my laptop, I'll be using a much older version on my desktop, which would be my primary rendering box. I don't want to buy two subscriptions because that'd be silly... Something like Steam that allowed you to use it on only one machine at a time would be nice, but that would require an internet connection...

Looks like my best option is to find four folks who would like to go in for the 5-pack ($100 a copy beats the heck out of $300), then get the subscription version on my laptop...

When I upgraded from Orangutan to Sorserez (I don't know what version numbers those would be), the guy at the show just sold me the new CD sans the book with the registration code and I was able to use my existing code. Would that work if I bought just the CD for the latest version or has the registration process changed?

I would call or contact Hash to find out about any changes. Just like before the CD is needed in the drive to launch AM. Quite honestly I never used the serial number. I often forgot what it was during re installation and would type any old number and it worked. The CD is the copy protection. I have the web subscription now and it works GREAT! I love it. A lot of people DO buy multiple copies of the web subscription or they buy the cd AND a web subscription. The price is very reasonable even doing it that way. AM is worth the money.

Wow! That 5 pack IS a bargain! WoooHooo! How long have they had that? I have to see if I have 4 friends to go in on that with. ;) Reminds me of that MS Office educational package with 3 serial numbers. Good grief that's just like the old upgrade price.

-vern

Wow! That 5 pack IS a bargain! WoooHooo! How long have they had that? I have to see if I have 4 friends to go in on that with. ;) Reminds me of that MS Office educational package with 3 serial numbers. Good grief that's just like the old upgrade price.

-vern

Well, if you'll be my friend, we only need three others. :D

-vern

Well, if you'll be my friend, we only need three others. :D

The back of the coin: All the licences will be connected to one person. But at the German community we already thought about that too.

*Fuchur*