Turning an image into a model

chrisrose

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you have brought an image into the library, how do you turn it into a model that you can manipulate ?

Depends on what you really want to do...

- If you want to handle the image as a layer, you can map it onto a geometry or you can import it as a layer to a Choreography.

- If you want to create the object on the image as a 3d-object, it will be more complex.

For that I highly recommend the "The Art of Animation:Master"-manual. This is more or less what is A:M all about and that needs more than just one post.

*Fuchur*

Hey Chris- Welcome to our forum. You WILL need to give us a little more info on what you have in mind, if you could elaborate. Your question 'sounds' a little naive regarding the fundamentals of 3D, and Fuchur's 'The Art of' advice would be a great start perhaps. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

My brother came up with a fantastic cartoon Idea. He drew up all the characters, we purchased A:M and we scanned all the drawings into the computer. I brought them into A:M and am trying to turn them into workable models. We lost the tutorial disk and have been viewing the tutorials online but have not found anything that explains how to do what I'm trying to do, yet. I'm sure it's not going to be an overnight process, but I would at least like to begin developing one of the characters as a working model sometime soon. I really appreciate your advise and also wish you a very merry Christmas.

Hey Chris- Welcome to our forum. You WILL need to give us a little more info on what you have in mind, if you could elaborate. Your question 'sounds' a little naive regarding the fundamentals of 3D, and Fuchur's 'The Art of' advice would be a great start perhaps. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

• Admin

Chris,

I've been where you are now. We all have.

My advise to you at this moment (about modeling your characters) is... Don't. (Not right now!)

You've got these great ideas... don't lose them!

So... how to animate those images while you are learning how to create them in 3D?

That is the question.

Start creating an Animatic. (You can visualize a lot in 3D images this way)

Start working your way through TaoA:M (the manual).

Move back and forth between the two and apply what you learn to your project every day.

Before you know it you will be well on your way.

Most importantly... Welcome to the A:M Forum!

Have fun! :)

• Admin

Essential stuff:

Basic Tutorials (video tutorials that take you through the manual and get you up to speed quickly):

http://www.hash.com/2007web/vm.htm

Start with Exercise 1!

Reference:

http://www.hash.com/2007web/reference.htm

Download The Art of Animation:Master PDF file and the Technical Reference.

Keep them handy.

If you follow the manual you'll have a good start on your characters within a few weeks.

If you don't follow the manual you'll still have fun... but you won't be as successful as you want to be.