sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Sky: Passage of time.

danf

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
I want a sunset/sunrise shot. What will this take?

About 18 hours, good weather and a decent video camera. ;)

I've seen several methods to make sunrises and sunsets.

For the simplest means you could animate the color of the Camera's background over time.

For a more realistic look you might use several images fading in/to create the effect.

You could use several patch images/layers to get this effect as well.

Consider that in any scene the sun will rise in the East and set in the West so the movement of shadows should also be considered.

My question is totally covered in the subject title.

Not quite. There are a lot of variables here.

Is this an indoor scene?

I use Vue for my skies most of the time. I create the sky I want in Vue and render it as a 360° panorama image. I apply this image to a sphere in A:M and use it as a sky dome. You can render the sky as an image sequence in Vue so you can have your sky dome animated. I have the 'Infinite' version, but you could use the 'Easel' version, which is very cheap and can be used for this purpose.

But if you don't need that kind of realism, you could of course model yourself a sun and clouds (or use images) and animate those.

It's an outdoor scene, and the sun doesn't need to be seen. I did imagine I'd rely largely on shadows to imply the sun's location, and then use the sky's color to imply the rest.

But some good points got raised here if I do choose to show the sun, and that is whatever I want to show as the sun, I get to choose very specifically for myself. Whether it's stock footage, a lens flare, or a cartoon I drew in illustrator, the aesthetic is completely in the animator's control, and that's a nice reminder.