sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

smo

Master chief

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What in the world is a smo file?

No, there is no conversion I know of for direct import of a smo file. Best bet is to find some way to convert it to something that does work with AM. What is smo and what program is it from? The only thing I could find googling smo was something to do with a QT format, a Smartmorph (whatever that is) animation file, Tony Hawks skater pro music file, or some kind of cell phone archive thingy.

If it is really really new, there is no support in AM. Hopefully there will be some free or shareware app that can convert it to a polygon format AM can read, like .obj, or .dxf or whatever else is in the import/export list for AM.

EDIT: Found another reference. A program for analyzing protein sequences saves .smo files.

-vern

I don't think so. Can you "see it"? Can you view it as a 3D model?

From a quick search it is most likely some kind of support file for games. It probably doesn't have anything to do with 3D. If it does, it is probaby a proprietary format just for the game.

I think you are out of luck.

-vern

Once again this must be some kind of proprietary file format for a specific application or game. Unless you can open this file in some other application and save it as something that AM can recognize there is no way to get it into AM. I can't even say for sure what that file is.

EDIT:

Keep in mind that game developers use all kinds of "made up" file extensions for anything from 2d art to music. It is often difficult to determine what those formats are. Many times the game developer doesn't want you to know what those files are.

-vern

What you need is OGLE (Open GL Extractor)!!

OGLE (i.e. OpenGLExtractor) is an open source software package by the Eyebeam OpenLab that allows for the capture and re-use of 3D geometry data from 3D graphics applications running on Microsoft Windows. It works by observing the data flowing between 3D applications and the system's OpenGL library, and recording that data in a standard 3D file format. In other words, a 'screen grab' or 'view source' operation for 3D data.

The primary motivation for developing OGLE is to make available for re-use the 3D forms we see and interact with in our favorite 3D applications. Video gamers have a certain love affair with characters from their favorite games; animators may wish to reuse environments or objects from other applications or animations which don't provide data-level access; architects could use this to bring 3D forms into their proposals and renderings; and digital fabrication technologies make it possible to automatically instantiate 3D objects in the real world.

Get it here:

http://ogle.eyebeamresearch.org/

That's pretty cool!

They think of everything. I was about to give up on this poor guy. I know that there are probably bunches of files associated with a game... he could be randomly grabbing stuff and never find the "3D" data.

-vern