sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Hi im a newbie.sortoff....

DI3GO_69

i have version 9.0 from 2002 and ive been using it for a while.ive used it like an 1hour a day since i bought it 5-6 years ago but its still really confusing.

1.is there a website that teaches me more than what the tutorials in the book do?

2.everytime i try to weather something it quits out am halfway through.whats wrong?

3.i updated to version 9.5 but it dont work right.it doesnt display textures,decals,or rotoscopes but 9.0 does. and it still doesnt weather.what can i do?

thx for the help.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Version 9 is... REALLY OLD (they are up to 15 now)... you may not find many people familiar with it although some may still use older versions for various reasons.

The problems you may have with v9 might have more to do with your system than the actual software... Was XP even around then? Vista certainly wasn't. It will be hard to get it working if it is an OS issue. When Hash moves to a new version they expect people to upgrade if they want to continue working with new OS's and computers. For instance I refuse to let go of my old Mac... I am hanging on by my fingernails screaming and hollering... for this reason I am stuck with v12 on the Mac... (but I do have the latest version on my PC.)

If you can afford $49 you might want to get the latest web subscription version just to see if you still want to use it. It is quite different and more people will be able to help you. AM has changed quite a bit since v9. A lot of new cool features. As far as resources, there is the TAoAM lessons and you can get a lot of help in the newbies section. There are a lot more resources here for learning that weren't available back when v9 came out.

2002... did this web forum exist back then? I don't think so... yikes! Was that back in the mailing list days?

-vern

• Hash Fellow
2.everytime i try to weather something it quits out am halfway through.whats wrong?

Weathering is no longer a feature, but upgrading to the current version is still a good idea. Stability has improved greatly since the V9 days. You can still bring in your old models.

This is just my opinion without any "expertise" but I would think any system bought recently can run A:M. The most problematic stuff is having enough ram and a making sure the video card drivers are up to date.

I have a PC that is ANCIENT by any standards... running Win2K and it runs the current version of AM... I have some issues but those are more than likely related to my old flakey system.

-vern

The best thing we can say (even if it is not what you may want to hear) is: Dont use v9 or v9.5...

These versions are very old and will not work very well.

Head for v15 which is so much better, with many new features, a better interface and so on.

-> A:M v10 features

-> A:M v10.5 features

-> A:M v11.0 features

-> A:M v12.0 features

-> A:M v13.0 features

-> A:M v14.0 features

The new features in v15 are SurfaceBaking, a new particle-type called "Fluids" and an integrated NLE-editor.

You see, it happend SO much since v9... it is absolutley worth the 50 Dollars for the Websubscription and even for the CD-version if you like it better.

A old PC isnt anything you have to worry about too much. My one is 5 years old (so I will buy a new one soon). As long as you can run Windows XP on it, you wont have any trouble.

Of course a new one will render faster, etc. but it will work anyway.

*Fuchur*