Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

attach a light to a model

Dascurf

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For a scene that does not have a bunch of lights, I prefer to bind the light to the model in the chor. You can do this by adding a couple of constraints to the light - "orient like" and "translate to" (if I remember correctly). If you add a light to the model in bones mode, the default light in the modeling window will turn off and your model will be quite dark. So, if you plan to change the model later, you will either have to turn off the light in the bones mode, or work in the dark ;)

• Admin

I use to prefer the method Ken describes (Right Click and add the Light in the Model) and have used constraints to bind lights to Models at times too. I've found another method that seems to be a lot more versatile especially where you aren't sure what changes you may make to lights later on in a project. It grants you a lot of flexibility in editing and adjusting the lights over time and through 3D space.

Create an Action (selecting the Model you want to use / it can even be an empty Model) and drag and drop your Lights into the Action. Then when you need the Lights added to the Model you can simply add the Action to the Model in a Choreography. Another benefit is that you should be able to create and organize Libraries of the Lights for reuse later. Yet another benefit if a little thought is put into it... you can apply the Action to other unrelated Models easily without breaking Constraints.

Cons of using Lights in Actions? I'm sure there are some but I can't think of any at the moment.

Perhaps when using Pose Sliders?

I'm at work, (which I shouldn't be on here right now, oh well..haha), but, I had the same issue. Do a search for my screen name, and there was someone who posted a quicktime video of how to accomplish what you are looking for. Basically, as stated above I believe, you'll add the light (kinetic I believe), but you'll make that the "child" of the parent part. Sorry for the vague response, but search my name: Steven547

I think I titled it "adding a light"...