Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Pointing to Folders

sb4

How does A:M find all the Materials, Models, etc?

In "Tools | Options | Folders", if I just set a path to a Library folder, does A:M automatically find the Models, Materals, Actions etc. folders because they are siblings? I don't see any settings for individually setting paths to Models, Materials, etc.

In other words, do you have to maintain the sibling relationship of the folders for the Library path setting to work?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An easy way to get things into libraries is drag from an explorer window into the correct folder into the library. It does not automatically pick it up.

There was a utility called Library Manager, but it has been archived. Anybody have a copy?

Tips on libraries:

1. Tools Menu > Options > Folders > change Show Folders For drop down to Libraries (.lbr files). This allows you to add folders where you have placed your own files. The files can then be dragged into this new library.

2. Often you will have multiple models, for example, in multiple sub-folders. Do a search on *.mdl in the top folder, then highlight all the found files and drag them all at once into the right folder in the library. Make sure that you actually have double clicked on the folder first, do not just drop them on top of the folder picture.

Couple of library links:

http://www.hash.com/lib/win.html

http://www.hash.com/lib/winvid/index.html

Now I have a question :)

I have just been messing with my libraries, created a new one called My Library pointing to My Docs\library, and added 200 models, and had difficulty in removing the library. I deleted the .lbr file in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Hash Inc\Libraries. I tried getting rid of that path in Tools > Options. But My Library is still there in the list (no models since I deleted the library). How can I get rid of it?

An easy way to get things into libraries is drag from an explorer window into the correct folder into the library. It does not automatically pick it up.

There was a utility called Library Manager, but it has been archived. Anybody have a copy?

Tips on libraries:

1. Tools Menu > Options > Folders > change Show Folders For drop down to Libraries (.lbr files). This allows you to add folders where you have placed your own files. The files can then be dragged into this new library.

2. Often you will have multiple models, for example, in multiple sub-folders. Do a search on *.mdl in the top folder, then highlight all the found files and drag them all at once into the right folder in the library. Make sure that you actually have double clicked on the folder first, do not just drop them on top of the folder picture.

Couple of library links:

http://www.hash.com/lib/win.html

http://www.hash.com/lib/winvid/index.html

Now I have a question :)

I have just been messing with my libraries, created a new one called My Library pointing to My Docs\library, and added 200 models, and had difficulty in removing the library. I deleted the .lbr file in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Hash Inc\Libraries. I tried getting rid of that path in Tools > Options. But My Library is still there in the list (no models since I deleted the library). How can I get rid of it?

Some more questions I have are:

1. What determines the libraries listed in the Libraries drop-down list in the toolbar?

All Libraries

Hash CD Library

Hash Install Library

My Libraries

How can I create a new entry in the list?

2. What determines the association of items in a particular Library selection and the paths in the Options | Folders? Suppose I want to add new paths to add models to My Library?

3. When I add new paths in the Options | Folders for say, models, which libraries are those new models added to? Are they just merged together with all models from all paths? What if there are duplicate models in two different paths?

• Admin
1. What determines the libraries listed in the Libraries drop-down list in the toolbar?

All Libraries

Hash CD Library

Hash Install Library

My Libraries

How can I create a new entry in the list?

A:M's pointer(s) to the folder(s) where the .LBR files are located determines what is listed in the dropdown list.

To test this try duplicating a Library file. Rename it something distinctive so you will recognize it in your list.

You can also create an empty text file and A:M will recognize it in the folder as an empty Library as long as it has the .LBR extension.

2. What determines the association of items in a particular Library selection and the paths in the Options | Folders? Suppose I want to add new paths to add models to My Library?

If you open a Libary file in a text editor you'll see the answer to this question on display.

Library files are text files with the type of resource and the location of the resource listed.

The user doesn't see the shortcut though... they see the graphic representation of an assigned Preview Image.

Of note, the Preview Image for the resource is part of the resource itself. Break the shortcut/link and the image is lost too.

If there is no Preview Image asssigned by the user and the resource is where the shortcut points to A:M assigns a default image to it based on the type of file (model, project, action etc.).

3. When I add new paths in the Options | Folders for say, models, which libraries are those new models added to? Are they just merged together with all models from all paths? What if there are duplicate models in two different paths?

You don't add new paths to Models in Options | Folders.

The models are added to the Library you place them in via drag and drop, creating the shortcut by Right Clicking and adding the shortcut in the Libary itself, typing in the path of the resource manually in a text editor or via an automated method (Libary Manager for instance). The path to the Libary isn't really related to this as the resources still reside in the place they always have. In this sense you could have multiple Libaries all pointing at similar locations but containing very different data.

This does then beg the question... why have a whole lot of Libraries?

If you don't need more than 1 or two it might be recommended to keep them to a minimum.

Rather than create new Libraries you could instead create Folders within a single Library that can satisfy your needs.

Where muliple Libraries may have their best advantage is when sharing files with other people.

As long as you have the same Libary and the resources are all in place you will see the same thing as them.

When you select 'All Libraries' from the dropdown list you are sure to get duplicate models if you have Libraries that point to the same resources. This can get confusing and you can accidentally wreck a good Libary if you start deleting shortcuts at random. This is another reason to keep your Libararies specialized and to a minimum.

Of course selecting the individual Libary will prevent the duplication as only the resources shown in that Libary will be in view.

My response here is a bit random. I apologize for that.

If you open a .LBR file in a text editor it will be a lot more clear what is going on with Library files.

In summary:

A:M points to the Libary.

The Library points to compatible files. (Actions with Actions, Post Effects with Post Effects, etc.)

With Libraries you can then organize, reorganize and access those files with ease (and without moving them from their actual location) via drag and drop or double click.

Thanks I'm starting to get the picture, especially learning that:

- library files are text files with links to data files rather than holding actual data (and different libraries can have links to the same data file, so an A:M object can have a shortcut in many libraries),

- that the name of the library file is added to the Library drop-list (and duplicate names each get their own listing),

- that each library file is included in the droplist by being in a path of the "Tools | Options | Folders | Libraries" paths,

- it seems that "My Library" is special and is listed even if there is no "My Library.lbr" file -- it is created automatically in the same place as the "Hash Installed Library" when you first add a shortcut to it.

(Note: when I add a shortcut to "My Library", close and reopen A:M, I get a single "My Library.lbr" file, but two "My Library" listings -- one with the shortcut, and one without. If I then put any shortcuts in the empty "My Library", it will completely overwrite the other "My Library" when A:M is closed. So if I want to add a shortcut to my existing "My Library" library, be sure to pick the one that has shortcuts already in it (DON'T GO NEAR THE OTHER EMPTY "My Library" or you'll lose your existing shortcuts). Makes me feel like steering clear of "My Library" altogether. If this is some configuration error I have caused, I'd like to know how to fix it.)

I'm still unclear on some things:

1. When you say drag and drop, what objects are you referring to (files or objects in A:M) and what application are you in, e.g. Windows Explorer or A:M?

2. If I create a new "Folder" in, say, the Models tab, where is that folder created (or how is it represented)? Especially if I have "All Libraries" selected. (For example, I created a new Folder in the Models tab for "My Library", and it shows up everywhere no matter which Library is selected, including "All Libraries").

(I think the answer to this question is that A:M creates a "virtual folder", in otherwords, there is no folder on your harddrive, it is just an path entry in the Library ".lbr" file. In fact, the folder will not persist (be saved) unless you put a shortcut in it it after creating it (from my tests), and that the folder is just part of the path designation of an A:M object's data file in the Library (.lbr) file. So A:M must figure out what folders to display dynamically as it reads the Library file and looks at all the objects, unless it stores the folder hierarchy somewhere else as well.)

3. If I create a new model, do I put it in a library in two steps: 1) save model as file to harddrive, 2) put link to model file in appropriate Library file? (I need this procedure to save a model loaded from the CD to the harddrive so it won't interfere with saving the project -- found that out the hard way!)

4. I see now that my eye overlooked the "Create Shortcut in Library" choice on the right-click menu in the Modeling window - that's what I was looking for - but now I have a clue what it does, thanks! It simply adds an entry into the current Library ".lbr" file with the path to the data file for the object.

5. How do you reveal the location of the file for a model? I would expect it to be in the Properties, or some kind of right-click, but I can't find it. The closest I can find is to open a model in the Model window and start to do a "Save as" and see where it defaults to, but that might not be trustworthy since some applications go to the last folder you saved to...

(sorry for all the verbiosity, hope it might help anyone else struggling to understand libraries, folders, etc.)

Answer to question 5 -

1- if you hold the mouse pointer over the thumbnail in the Library, you should see a help text popup that shows the location/filename and the Library file it is in.

2- if you have a model or a model in a Project, expand the "Objects" in the PWS, click on the little triangle between the icon and the model name, click on the little triangle in front of "File Info", and the path and file name is the second entry down (unless you have "Embedded" the Model - in which case there is no separate model file as it is now part of the Project file).

Glenn

Answer to question 5 -

1- if you hold the mouse pointer over the thumbnail in the Library, you should see a help text popup that shows the location/filename and the Library file it is in.

2- if you have a model or a model in a Project, expand the "Objects" in the PWS, click on the little triangle between the icon and the model name, click on the little triangle in front of "File Info", and the path and file name is the second entry down (unless you have "Embedded" the Model - in which case there is no separate model file as it is now part of the Project file).

Glenn

That's it! Thanks Glenn.

I've heard of "embedding" the model -- where can we find a description of how to do that?

I f you go into the PWS same as I described in #2 into the model, into the File Info, it's the first Item (right above the Filename) , simply click the OFF to ON and it's embedded when you save the Project.

You can also then Click the ON to OFF and it will give you a File Dialog to choose where to save the Model File. This is usually what I do when I use a model from the CD/DVD and want to have it locally to modify and not copy the whole DVD. However, this does not embed or move the decals and maps. Consolidate might do this, I haven't really tried.

Glenn

• Admin
1. When you say drag and drop, what objects are you referring to (files or objects in A:M) and what application are you in, e.g. Windows Explorer or A:M?

Drag and Drop functions in A:M are context sensitive so the answer here isn't an absolute in every case but... in general:

Image files can be Drag/Dropped onto selected Groups

Sound files can be placed into Actions and Choreographies

Model files can be moved into Actions and Choreopgrapies

Actions can be dropped onto any model in a Choreopgraphy

Choreographies can be added to any project

Post Effects can be dropped onto any Camera/Composite

All of these will open in their default location if Double Clicked.

There is a little more to it but thats what I recall from memory.

2. If I create a new "Folder" in, say, the Models tab, where is that folder created (or how is it represented)? Especially if I have "All Libraries" selected. (For example, I created a new Folder in the Models tab for "My Library", and it shows up everywhere no matter which Library is selected, including "All Libraries").

This is an interesting question and I should know the answer to it.

I believe the Folder is a fuction of the text in the Library file itself.

To test this you can create a new Folder within a Library and then exit A:M.

Then in a Text Editor delete (or better yet... rename) the Folder entry in the .LBR file.

When you next open the Library in A:M it will have changed.

So... Folder Libraries are created within the Library folder itself.

(I'll try to check this again next time I'm in A:M)

(I think the answer to this question is that A:M creates a "virtual folder", in otherwords, there is no folder on your harddrive, it is just an path entry in the Library ".lbr" file. In fact, the folder will not persist (be saved) unless you put a shortcut in it it after creating it (from my tests), and that the folder is just part of the path designation of an A:M object's data file in the Library (.lbr) file. So A:M must figure out what folders to display dynamically as it reads the Library file and looks at all the objects, unless it stores the folder hierarchy somewhere else as well.)

I believe you've got it. :)

3. If I create a new model, do I put it in a library in two steps: 1) save model as file to harddrive, 2) put link to model file in appropriate Library file? (I need this procedure to save a model loaded from the CD to the harddrive so it won't interfere with saving the project -- found that out the hard way!)

I think you've figured this one out.

You are quite correct about the CD data though and those using Libraries should learn this early. You cannot change the data on the CDs easily (exception would be a rewritable CD of course) and therefore you cannot add to those libraries. Futhermore when you attempt to save changes to a model/project referenced on the CD you will get an error. The files need to be copied to harddrive first.

4. I see now that my eye overlooked the "Create Shortcut in Library" choice on the right-click menu in the Modeling window - that's what I was looking for - but now I have a clue what it does, thanks! It simply adds an entry into the current Library ".lbr" file with the path to the data file for the object.

Yes. You've got it! :)

5. How do you reveal the location of the file for a model? I would expect it to be in the Properties, or some kind of right-click, but I can't find it. The closest I can find is to open a model in the Model window and start to do a "Save as" and see where it defaults to, but that might not be trustworthy since some applications go to the last folder you saved to...

What Glenn said. :)

Very valuable discussion, thanks. Organizational concepts often hang me up. Next to tackle is the Project Work Space hierarchy...

A couple of remaining questions on this topic are:

1. Why when I create a new folder in a particular Library does it appear in all Libraries? Is this expected behavior, or something messed up on my system?

2. Why do I get two "My Library" choices after putting some models in "My Library" -- one "My Library" is empty, the other has the models. If I put models in the empty "My Library", it replaces the other one and creates a new empty "My Library". Expected behavior, or something messed up on my system?

Thanks.