Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Sometimes it's tough to pick up

Shelton

• *A:M User*

I started over last month on a model that I started in June of last year. I quit working on it in July of 2007 but recently I wanted to create a small animation and decided he would be the star. So I started rigging the character with the poseable rig and it has taken me three tries to figure out the model itself was the problem. So I rebuilt the chest and shoulders and then worked on the head, reduced splines and now I am asking for critiques once again on the look.

Steve

test0.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks pretty good for a character!

Are you looking for a realistic anatomical critique?

or how well he would be animated?

Because I could tell you better if you render out the wireframe, and take a look at that. Otherwise I think you have a nice looking character. The body is very good, and I wish I had that body for my animation.

Anatomically tho the head needs to be bigger, roughly 1/8 of the body. There should be 8 head to fit a body length. The eyes should be halfway on the head. the bottom pert of the nose halfway between eye and chin, and the lip halfway between nose and chin.

The ears are between eyes and lip! spot on! To solve it all I would give him more forehead space.

Looks like 8 1/2 head height, classic comic book character build?

Straight horizontal and vertical.

I would have no diagnolly running splines at all.

I will try to find a picture from my tutorial to post.

found one, the front splines are probably too curved for my taste today.

But I time I thought it looked like it flowed nicely.

Hips.jpg

You dont have to do it that way, but I find that it helps keep things managable and

while the way you have it, the mesh is elegant and pretty, but in my rig it does not

contribute to good deformations.

But you can certainly work out a system that does work with your mesh layout.

Straight horizontal and vertical.

I would have no diagnolly running splines at all.

I will try to find a picture from my tutorial to post.

found one, the front splines are probably too curved for my taste today.

But I time I thought it looked like it flowed nicely.

Hips.jpg

You dont have to do it that way, but I find that it helps keep things managable and

while the way you have it, the mesh is elegant and pretty, but in my rig it does not

contribute to good deformations.

But you can certainly work out a system that does work with your mesh layout.

Thanks. I have your tutorial I will look through it again tonight.

Steve

I had an old model that had diagonal line on the legs and rework it to be more straight. However, I did mange to get it working but end up adding another 2 bones each side to handle the diagonal spline. Many hours wasted, and learn to do it different.

been there done that!

I would rework it the way Mike suggest!

OK the rig is in and I am working on resetting the compensates. I have got the skull cap in ready for hair and reworked the hands and torso. Just playing around with lighting. i hope to have the rig completed this week and will begin weighting the cps. Thanks to David Simmons who has helped me get this far. I will try to upload a pose by the end of the week.

Steve

monday0.jpg

While I am waiting on the next squetch rig I thought I would dive into hair for the character. I have found the hair portion in v15b to work really well. I have begun to experiment and I like it. Here is an upload with the first try with hair

Steve

thursdayq0.jpg

• 8 months later...

I rigged the character and never really got it to work correctly. Then work happened over the past 7 months I have been busier than I ever have. Being an insurance claims adjuster full time has been rough over the past 5 years with all the catastophes. Anyway three nights ago I decided to start on the face again. Here is the character with the new head in place. I have placed "helmet hair" for now. I have reworked the hands and head shoulders and back, etc...

newheadlips0.jpg