Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

blocking another model

Master chief

ok here the deal in order to make a laser that actaly works for what i need i had to make the beam about 10000 cm long , my question is is there a way to asign a model a value that would cause any part of another model to no longer show up , ie putting a block of this model behind a giant robot so the beam is hitting it and not just passing through it?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
ok here the deal in order to make a laser that actaly works for what i need i had to make the beam about 10000 cm long , my question is is there a way to asign a model a value that would cause any part of another model to no longer show up , ie putting a block of this model behind a giant robot so the beam is hitting it and not just passing through it?

You've lost me a bit here.

Is your laser a beam of light or a model made to look like one?

What I see thus far in your request:

- Assign a a value to a model that causes a part of another model to dissappear.

Depending on the effect you want you could use Boolean Cutters, Material Effectors etc.

They all automatically assign their values to the model so... the answer is 'Yes'. You can do that.

ie putting a block of this model behind a giant robot so the beam is hitting it and not just passing through it?

Not sure what you are after here but easy enough to try.

Do you want this other model behind or inside the first model?

A picture they say is worth a thousand words so maybe you can sketch it out?

Stick figures and basic shapes often work best.

Edit: If the laser is created using a light you should be able to change its length and even animate that length over time.

use a bone aligned with the spline representing your "beam". (attach geometry to that bone)

Then make a Percentage relationship that scales the length of that bone.

Then you just adjust that pose slider for the length of your "beam": 0% not firing, 100%=10000cm, and your hitting an object length you can adjust by eye in your scene...