sprockets Hans Donuts 3D Printing USS Midnight 1950s Street Car Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

bvh file into character model

filmmakerrichie

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a good tutorial about this on zandoria.com but the site is off line at the moment. Here is what was still in Google's cache:

If you've ever wanted to use motion capture for any of your A:M models, but thought that it was probably too complicated, then this tutorial is for you.

In this tutorial, I will show you how to add a calibration pose into your model that will allow you to import and use motion capture data with the click of the mouse. While I'm going to be using BVH files for this tuitorial, you can repeat the set-up for several different types of motion capture devices. NOTE: version 9 of A:M doesn't support motion capture but it was restored in Version 10. This tutorial is done in version 8.5p+

Step 1

Import the model or skeletal rig that you want to use motion capture with. In this example, I'm going to apply this set-up to a basic skeleton. At Zandoria Studios, we use default skeletons that are set-up with spherical limits, kinematic constraints, and fan bones. Since these poses are assigned to a simple skeletal model (with no geometry), you can use the "import model" command to bring in an appropriate skeleton with all of the rigging set up. Once this motion capture pose is created, all of the models that use this rig will be automatically set-up for motion capture. In A:M version 10, there is an "autoassign bones" feature, that makes this workflow even faster!

Create a new Action. Right-click and choose New>Motion Capture Device>BioVision BVH File.

Right-click The "shortcut to BioVision BVH File1" and choose "Capture Sequence". This will load the BVH file into the Action.

Scale the BVH so that the markers roughly line-up with your skeleton, It is important to try and match the lengths of the legs with your skeleton so that the "stride" will be correct.

Step 2

Now you have to make some Constraints that will make your skeleton move and orient like the BVH file.

Use a "Translate to" to lock the hip of your skeleton to the hip of the BVH. Follow this constraint with an "Orient like"-- Use "compensate mode" to keep your skeletons hip/pelvis from moving when you apply the constraint.

Align the legs of your skeleton to the BVH, by using "Aim like two" constraints. Use the drop-down list of bones to pick the targets for your constraints. Target 1 is where the small end of the constrained bone points. Target 2 is where the base of the constrained bone points. In the illustration below the Calf bone of the model skeleton is constrained to aim at the RightAnkle and RightKnee of the BVH.

In this example, I used "Orient like" constraints to align the bones of the torso and upper body to the BVH skeleton. You can pick the constraint targets with the eyedropper tool, just as you normally do when making a constraint.

Step 3

Once your skeleton is constrained to follow the motion capture, create a Pose from the Action. Be sure that the Key filters are set as shown below. Name your pose "BVH" and save your model. This pose will now be usable to load any BVH file that is set-up the same way.

Step 4

To load a new motion capture file for your model, create a new action and drag-and-drop the "BVH" pose into the action. Version 10 of A:M will support motion capture, but Version 9 does not...

Right-click the channel for the "shortcut to BioVision BVH File1". NOTE: Do not right-click the shortcut, make sure that it's the channel. Choose "Capture sequence" and load the BVH file that you wish to use.

Your model will follow the new BVH file, it doesn't matter which file you used for making your constraints, just be sure that the BVH file was set up the same way. You can find lots of free BVH files on the web to practice with.

HI again,

I follow direction. I wasn't able to attach from bvh file into character model. Is there anyway to make it simply? I dont know how much the direction changed since I am running AM version 14.

Thank you..

Richie

Directions have not changed.

Hello,

I hate to ask for more help, I was wondering if there is any video training for i can see where I'm going? I tried many different ways, and nothing appear to be working. As far as I know I'm doing something wrong in this project that I would love to make my bvh files into character models.

Many thanks...

HI,

thank you for your help.

I imported a character model, set-up with spherical limits.

I only find Kinematic, I wasn't sure if i was supposed to attach bvh skeleton to character.

I never found fan bones which i don't know what's mean. Again, I'm new to animation's world and learning on AM: Master system. Which i wanted to make it work and understand this system.

I followed this diretion. that's easy part. To add this note, I wasn't able to see bvh bones, it did shown at first few times, and then I never saw it again. It makes it diffcult for me to Scale with the BVH skeleton to match the character model.

Create a new Action. Right-click and choose New>Motion Capture Device>BioVision BVH File.

Right-click The "shortcut to BioVision BVH File1" and choose "Capture Sequence". This will load the BVH file into the Action.

I looked for autossigns and there wasnt listed. Since I couldn't see the bvh bones to match the character model.

Now you have to make some Constraints that will make your skeleton move and orient like the BVH file.

Use a "Translate to" to lock the hip of your skeleton to the hip of the BVH.

My question is, do I have to "translate to" hop of model skeleton to hip, only once??? Or do i have to go through all or most of the bones?

I follow this constraint with an "Orient like"-- Use "compensate mode" to keep your skeletons hip/pelvis from moving when you apply the constraint.

Is it the same as translate to if i have to go through each bones or just the hip.

I couldn't find compensate mode, is it same as "orient like?" correct?

On the next level, i couldnt find key filter.... So, I saw some movements between character and bvh bones, but not the same from bvh files that i upload into AM.

I'm aware of that i made a lot of trails and errors. However, I'm trying my best to learn this.

Thanks....

Richie

Constrain.jpg

You only need the 'translate to' constraint for the hips, because the hips will translate the whole body. For each other bone you use an 'orient like' constraint. The compensate buttonis the one I pointed at with the red arrow. Click it every time before to apply the 'orient like' constraint.

• 1 year later...

I am stuck on stage 3 of this tutorial

1. He says to create a pose from an action. When I right click in the action window I do NOT get the New pose relationship option. So how do you achieve this?

2. Its kind of hard to tell which filters he has selected is it just the first 4?

3. Does anyone know how to get a bvh file that is in the Standard “T” model pose. I need that pose to constrain my bones the the BVH otherwise the offets are OFF by too much.

He says to create a pose from an action.

I haven't read the tutorial but perhaps this is just scrambled terminology. Maybe he was talking about posing the model in an Action rather than creating a Pose.

Does anyone know how to get a bvh file that is in the Standard “T†model pose.

There are plenty of websites selling motion capture files. These should all come with a calibration pose.

Something else that you could try is to edit the BVH rig on frame 0, using the rotation manipulator to get it into a t-pose, and then constrain your rig on that frame. You will get a jump when you scrub through to frame 1, because the BVH rig will be jumping from your t-pose to the mo-capped pose, but that doesn't matter because you probably won't want to render frame 0 anyway.