Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Giraffe Model...attaching legs...sudden empty patch

Folks,

So far, loving the ease of modeling! Just finding it tricky to attach the leg to the giraffe. Which control point gets connected with which control point? Once I understand this, it'll be a snap.

Thanks for your time in replying!

Bob

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

Bob,

If you can capture an image from your screen to share with us that will help us see what you see.

On a PC you can simply press the Prt Scr key (usually above or next to the Insert/Scroll Lock keys) and the current screen will be saved into your clipboard. Then use any graphics/paint program to paste it and save it for uploading.

Without an image I would say you:

- Haven't created a valid patch (patches must be two splines or more with at least 3 but not more than 4 CPs)

- Have created a potential 5 point patch (but haven't told A:M to use it as a 5 point patch)

- Have created a valid patch but the Normal is pointing backward w/ 'Show back facing patches' turned off in your interface options

- Something else.

My bet is on the invalid patch... lets see how close I am!

post-11533-1199566817_thumb.jpg

Bob,

If you can capture an image from your screen to share with us that will help us see what you see.

On a PC you can simply press the Prt Scr key (usually above or next to the Insert/Scroll Lock keys) and the current screen will be saved into your clipboard. Then use any graphics/paint program to paste it and save it for uploading.

Without an image I would say you:

- Haven't created a valid patch (patches must be two splines or more with at least 3 but not more than 4 CPs)

- Have created a potential 5 point patch (but haven't told A:M to use it as a 5 point patch)

- Have created a valid patch but the Normal is pointing backward w/ 'Show back facing patches' turned off in your interface options

- Something else.

My bet is on the invalid patch... lets see how close I am!

Rodney...thanks!! I'm sure you're right about an invalid patch. You can verify that per the attached file, but even if it is, I'm wondering what technique or approach you guys take to avoid them, especially when staring at dozens of control points. I'm sure it's simple once you get some mileage behind you.

Bob

The leg should only need 8 splines running up it max. Regarding the image, it looks like it's a five point patch which needs to be filled in (see manual) but it's hard to tell without the splines. Hitting the 0 key and screenshot would make things easier.

You could try selecting only the area you are working on, and hiding the rest - the 'H' key.

You can select areas, and give them a name in the PWS on the left, so that it is easy to select that area again.

I think that this is (and ex 6) are the trickiest exercises, and it will take much time. Just try and make the splines coming out of the leg continue along the body and neck. When you get to the point up the neck (or body) where the spline is not necessary, then end it with a hook.