Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Seamless Texture Generators

Postality

I was just wondering if there were any good seamless texture generators you guys may know of.

I've tried the genevia or whatever it's called and it was a tad confusing.

Anyonoe have some input on this subject or available seamless texture creation programs?

Thanx guys.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Surely people using a 3d application like this is bound to need a seamless texture creator of some sort...

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanx guys.

I just use photoshop to mirror and flip images horizontally and vertically. Not sure how easy it is in other image editing programs.

1) start with any image eg 320 x 240

2) double canvas size to 640 x 480

3) duplicate the layer, flip horizontal, move flipped image to opposite side, link layers, merge linked layers

4) duplicate this merged layer, flip vertically, move layer to top

seamless1.jpg

seamless2.jpg

seamless3.jpg

seamless4.jpg

• Admin

For many tiled images you can do the tiling right in A:M itself.

No need for other programs.

Attached is an example using Nancy's image.

This example uses a 4 patch grid with Patch Images where the patch Normals are flipped and images rotated where necessary to create a tiled image.

A benefit to this in-A:M workflow is that you can create tiled images with Alpha Channel transparencies relatively easy.

Multi-Layered tiles with images over the top of one another... tiled images based on Materials... no problem.

Edit: Added a second example of a photo texture from A:M's Library.

Even with seamless tiles you may experience unwanted repetition. In cases such as these create your seamless texture and then use another image (perhaps even the same seamless texture) layered over it with the transparency turned up. This will add variety to the image and break up the repetition. Note the use of the 'Repeat' option to get different dirt textures using the same image.

AMDoesTiling.jpg

I'm actually looking for a seamless texture generator, meaning it will make a texture from scratch, so for example:

I select some parameter such as wood texture, I tweak the heck out or it to make it look like some other tpye of material etc etc, then I render it and the program makes it into a seamless texture.

I appreciate the help.

Fortunately Animation Master is great at what it does, but for other operations you have to look elsewhere for a solution. While that may work, the time consumed doing it that way when you have a large number of diffrent sized textures it would take to long.

Tralfaz, that look like a nice texture program indeed, however according to the forums it doesn't create seamless textures. but people have been posting some alternatives there so I'll use that as a resource as well to find something I'm looking for.

• Admin
Fortunately Animation Master is great at what it does, but for other operations you have to look elsewhere for a solution. While that may work, the time consumed doing it that way when you have a large number of diffrent sized textures it would take to long.

Time is relative so that decision must be made by you.

Just don't rule out the option as it may actually save you time in some instances.

There are a lot of Texture generators out there.

One recently posted (MapZone) is free and incredibly useful.

See Talfraz's link for that.

Edit: I see MapZone doesn't quite cut the mustard either.

You may be more interested in a material generator. If that is the case and scaleability important try Darktree for that.

Did you try MapZone? It is free(better to say there is a free and a commercial version) and it is powerful...

Textures are great to use with BitMapPlus-Plugin or as Patch-Images...

Worth a look anyway: Map Zone 2.5

It is not only for seamless textures but it can do them too in a very nice way...

*Fuchur*