sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Hair Passing through Face

jmart714

Hey guys,

So, I've been trying to figure out how to stop hair from passing through my characters face. I've read a post that said, turn on object collisions in dynamics. I did this, but it only keeps the hair from passing through the scalp. I changed the collision radius, but the higher number I go, the hair becomes a crazy mess. It looks like my character is under water. Thanks.

Justin

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

THIS is something I have been struggling with as well. Can't get it to work. The longer the hair the worse C-D gets. There are a couple of things to experiment with:

1- Maybe a denser geometry will catch the collision detection better?

2- Maybe make the face geometry UNattached to the geometry with the hair emitters?

3- Maybe give the hair more (or less?) control points...max is 25.

4- There HAS to something to the 'Bounce and Friction' levels...one high the other low...both high...both low... ????

5- Maybe make invisible 'shields' that contain the hair?

The only thing definate thing I would say would be to set the angle limit low so the hair can't get too close to the face...

Unfortunately, I haven't had too much success with the above. I think my expectations are too high, because when I think of collision-detection I think of hair that simply WILL NOT pass thru geometry, kinda like in real life.

I've made some tests where I make a simple ball with long hair and run various objects by it or run it over various objects and the C-D seems to work fine. But once I put long hair on a rigged animated character all bets are off. And I've probably done HUNDREDS of tests.

I haven't pestered the hash programmmers with this because I'm sure they know it's a limited feature, and other than that Hash-Hair is FANTASTIC! Also, I'm sure that to get it working right is a monstrous programming challenge requiring many-many-many hours/weeks/months. I've also tinkered with the possibility of using thin strips of SimCloth as hair, because SimCloth's Collision-Detection seems to be a little more successful...

Good luck and PLEASE share the knowledge you gleam...especially if you find success!